Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Malarone vs. doxycycline (for malaria prevention)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:24 PM
Jessica

Because I don't want to take Lariam again, I'm trying to decide whether to take Malarone (the newest antimalarial drug in the U.S.) or <BR>doxycycline for a six-month trip to Kenya (and possibly Tanzania). <BR> <BR>What sorts of side effects have people had while taking either of these drugs? And, does anyone know whether Malarone or doxycycline is preferable for long-term visits (6+ months) to East Africa? <BR> <BR>Thanks, Jessica <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Alexandra

Hi, <BR>I took Doxycycline during my 1 month trip to Africa. <BR>I havn't taken Lariam, so I can't comment on the difference, but for Doxycycline, you should consider, that since you have to take it daily, you would have to bring quite a large amount of pills. <BR>I was also told by the doctor that I should remember to take it EVERY day, and that forgetting, even for only one day would reduce its effectiveness quite a bit(who knows, maybe he exaggerated a bit, because he wanted me to remember to take it). One of the side effects was that you become more sensitive to the sun. I didn't get sunburnt, but if you are prone to sunburn, you need to be especially careful when outdoors. <BR>You also have to take it for another 30 days after yoou are away from the Malaria zone. <BR> <BR>Alexandra <BR>