Simbambili in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Simbambili in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve

While I am very excited about my Zambian safari of South Luangwa, North Luangwa and Lower Zambezi, I am also equally excited about ending 15 nights worth of safari with a 3 night stay at Simbambili. While Zambia promises to be amazing, at Simbambili I am virtually guaranteed some intense close up action with leopards and lions at Simbambili.

Here is some very rare footage just taken of a lion killing a hyena!

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm

(Footage taken on January 22nd for anybody that sees this thread at a later time, as Taga Safaris updates their Leopards Of Simbambili series about every other day)

I chose Simbambili because it seems to offer excellent gameviewing in luxurious accomodations, yet not $1,000 per person per night, over the top accomodations such as Londolozi and Singita. Plus, I recall Safarinut (what ever happened to Safarinut, anyway?) saying that out of all the Sabi Sand/Kruger area luxury lodges that he has visited (and he seems to have visited nearly all of them) that the best guide he has come across is a guide named Jaco at Simbambili, and as long as Jaco is there next September, he should be my guide. While he is not the pretty boy Tarzan / Fabio guide that I would likely get at an over the top place like the Royal Malewane, I think I will survive just fine with a guide that is in his position for his expertise rather than his head shots (in Los Angeles, land of the aspiring actor, "head shots" are the photographs any actor is readily available to produce for anybody that may have an acting or modeling gig for them).

Anyway, check out the lion's kill of the hyena. This hyena was definitely not food for the lions, but rather just probably got in the lions way, possibly being too aggressive near a lion's kill? Very interesting as are many of the updates on the Leopards of Simbambili series!
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM

Rocco-
Thanks for calling this article to our attention. If I'd have been there I think I would have gotten sick....... the way the writer described the sounds. Apparently the hyena came upon lions mating and... uh oh! What a sight to see. Liz
I too miss Safarinut. He left so abruptly and his sage advice is a loss to this forum, in my opinion. Hope he didn't fall on bad times.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
sandi

Amazing how some people just fade from our midts!!

Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM

Thanks for reminding me of the site, Rocco... I rediscovered the forums too though they aren't very active.

I do wonder what happened to safarinut. He/ she was posting normally into April last year and then just disappeared.

I hope he/ she is OK.

One downside of a loose community such as this one is that we seldom find out when people fall ill or pass away. I hope that nothing so unpleasant has befallen Safarinut.

Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM

Wow, great stuff. I hadn't checked the Taga site in a while, and I'm glad you reminded me of the leopard diary. It looks like you're going to have a great ending to your safari, and maybe you'll see a kill. I'm 0-for-5 (five safaris, no kills).
Jan 24th, 2005, 12:55 AM
mv

I had a similar experience at Kwando Lagoon last August. We started the drive looking unsuccesfullly for the Wild Dogs new den (we found it the following day). At 6 PM we had sundowners next to a large herd of Buffalo (750+). At 6.30 we started looking for the resident Lion pride and found them app 500yds away. We followed them as they were trying to get each other motivated for the hunt. As it got totally dark we shut off the lights in order not to help the Lions nor the Buffalo. Within a few minutes we heard commotion and rushed towards the sound only to find one of the resident males trying to strangle a Hyena. It took place in a fairly open area so we were able to get really close. The strangling took quite a long time and was not very pleaseant to watch and on top of that the smell was awful when the Hyena finally lost control of all its muscles. After strangling the Hyena the male Lion stated crushing every bone in the Hyenas body. Finally he licked a little of the Hyenas bllod. He finally left the carcass whereafter the rest of the pride had a quick look/lick of the Hyena. The total incident lasted about 50 minutes. Immediately after the Lions resumed the hunt and for the next two hours the lions tried to single out a buffalo. Several times a Lion would jump on the back of a buffalo with the rest of the pride trying to help but several male Buffalos would turn around and chase away the Lions. It was amazing to watch and listen with all the dust being kicked up. Finally the Lions got tires and gave up the hunt.
We started heading back for camp but shortly after we had a flat tyre. The vehicle was in a fairly open area and we started looking around. The male Lion was in the grass about 40 yds from the vehicle but the guide decided to change the tyre anyhow. The tracker kept shining the lights at the male Lion, as I checked the surroundings with my flash light only to find 3 of the females about 50 yds away on the other side of the vehicle. I was glad that I could stay inside the vehicle as the guide changed the tyre succesfully. We were exhausted as we got back to camp and had our well deserved dinner at 11.30 PM
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:36 AM

mv - What an exciting game drive! To be able to see the lions and hyena is awesome. As far as the flat tire I think I would have had to drive on it flat.

I saw a pride of lions stalking two cape buffalo. It was neat to watch the lions flanking where the buff were laying in the grass. I got a picture of them when one of the lionesses had gone way around some brush and come in behind the buff. http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/38967834 (the lion is next to/behind the tree). There was another lioness that had gone around us but I guess the buff were spooked before the lions were ready because once they were discovered they did not chase very far. It seemed to take awhile for the lions to get to there places and then it was over very quickly.
Jan 24th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Kavey,

The forum at Taga Safaris has the potential to be really great for those of us most interested in the wildlife of Southern Africa. I love the features that are available such as the ability to post photographs within messages, private messaging and once there is enough participation, I imagine that the chat feature may be very beneficial. Plus, it is nice to receive an e-mail whenever someone responds to a thread to which I have subscribed.

Jan 24th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thit Cho,

I was lucky enough to see a kill on my first ever night game drive (at Singita) but I, also, have struck out ever since. However, with 15 nights of safari in high season I am keeping my fingers crossed for next time.

At Singita, we arrived just after a pride of lions had taken down a full grown buffalo. Thankfully we missed the actual kill by a couple minutes but it was quite an experience to hear the lions crunching on that poor buffalo and to have their faces full of blood and gore! Needless to say, everybody was in a quiet amazement while watching this all take place within about 20 feet of the vehicle. They sure are not shy in the Sabi Sand about being too close to the lions and leopards!
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Liz,

Check out the latest update for some more amazing footage (no gore this time, but wonderful varied footage of lions, rhino, giraffe, leopard, elephants and a Simbambili tracker in his seat on the hood of the vehicle with male lion within about 2 meters!
I love how nice and green it is... I just wonder how warm it must be in late January in the Sabi Sand, the middle of their summertime.
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Liz,

Check out the latest update for some more amazing footage (no gore this time, but wonderful varied footage of lions, rhino, giraffe, leopard, elephants and a Simbambili tracker in his seat on the hood of the vehicle with male lion within about 2 meters!
I love how nice and green it is... I just wonder how warm it must be in late January in the Sabi Sand, the middle of their summertime.

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm

Search this Thread