SIM cards at NBO?

Jan 14th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

SIM cards at NBO?

Has anyone purchased or noticed if prepaid SIM cards are available at Nairobi airport on arrival? Thanks.
Feb 10th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

To answer my own question and for anyone who needs this info in the future, yes there are SIM cards for sale on arrival at NBO. I didn't end up getting one there as I was tired and decided just to do it the next day. But the shop selling them was open at around 9pm. I picked up a Safaricom SIM the next day for 300 KES (about $4), no airtime included. Airtime cards are available in denominations starting at 250 KES. International calls are either 78 or 110 KES per minute depending on peak or off-peak times. Most of my calls were made off-peak so it was just over a $1 per minute as opposed to AT&T's roaming service which would have cost me $3.49 per minute. Service is not available in most of the parks, but along the major highways and cities coverage is good. The other major cellular provider is Kencell. I would imagine their service and prices are comparable.

If anyone is traveling to Kenya soon and is taking an unlocked GSM 900 phone, I'll be glad to pass my SIM along. I think I still have about 275 KES left over on my card which expires at the end of May.

Search this Thread