Side Trip to Morocco???

Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Side Trip to Morocco???

We are planning a trip to Spain with a side trip to Morocco. My daughter is 17 and she sees this as an adventure.
Never been there, does anyone think this side trip would not be advisable. Based upon my reading, I am not sure.
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:38 AM

You could sign up for a tour. Bus, hydrofoil across the strait, bus around town. Return the same day. This might scratch that itch.
Oct 31st, 2003, 05:05 PM

Look at my comments in Morocco after thoughts below. We really enjoyed Morocco and will go back, but it is much like everywhere we have gone, it is different than we expected. (Books and websites cannot take the place of the actual experience.) It will stretch you and and test your view of the world in positive ways if you enjoy adventure.

We were treated with respect and kindness and of course we left some money behind and took home a few souvenirs and many memories.

If you go, study, read and be prepared for an unusual experince.
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Tangier is the Tijuana of Morocco. That would be 'nuff said, except at least Tijuana you can do on your own. If you do a group tour ex Algeciras or Tavira (can't recall if that's the town name), you'll be in a horde of westerners led downthe usual gantlet of peddlers. We've experienced worse in other countries, but at least you can get past them elsewhere. On the Tangier daytrips, the group just walks and walks up and down alleys seemingly aimlessly, and the peddlers just tag along -- this goes on for hours!

So if you want to visit Tangier, please please please go it alone! You can pick up a guide at the ferry terminal -- who will likely lead you to the same carpet shops (as if everyone visiting Morocco wants a carpet...) and restaurants to earn his kickback. But at least on your own you can say "ok, more of this, less of that; I want to go this way; I want to see this", and have more control over your experience.

If you have 2 or 3 days, consider flying into Marrakesh or Fez or Casablanca or just about anywhere other than Tangier.

Having said all this, I'm glad to have visited Morocco, just to say I've been there. And we did buy a couple decent souvenirs -- a beautiful bowl and some bongo-like drums. At any rate, your daughter will be psyched to go and then tell everyone back home about it. So sure, go, but if I were going back myself I'd definitely forego the group tour and find our own guide. We saw a few westerners in Tangier with their own guides, and I was so envious of their relative freedom from peddlers and their ability to go and do as they pleased.

Gibraltar, by the way, is worth a few hours if you're in the area...

Search this Thread