Search

Side Trip to Essaouria / Safi?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Lia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Trip to Essaouria / Safi?

We're planning to visit the Imperial Cities: Marrakech, Fez, Rabat, Casablanca and would like to spend 1-2 days in Essaouria and Safi. Is there a train from one of the major cities or should we hire a car/driver?

Any suggestions on where to stay?
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:11 AM

There are no trains to Essaouira. You shouled either get a grand taxi from Marrakesh, or take a bus.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:14 AM

The bus from Marrakech to Essouira is really nice, and I highly recommend taking it. Cabs are good if there are more than one of you.

In Essouira, stay at Casa di Carlo! It is seriously my favorite hotel in the entire country. When you arrive, you walk along the beach to the gate of the city. Take a right and go under the arches. Ask there for Casa di Carlo and they will show you. It is about a block away. Oh! And get up early one morning and make your way down the street for Moroccan pancakes with butter and honey. And eat fish at the port twice a day. And get henna done. I would spend both days in Essouira, if it were me.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM

Is Essaouria worth a visit in Jan or Feb?
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM

I think it is any time. In fact, I will be in Morocco this Dec/Jan (desert trek this time. . . Laayoune to Draâ Valley, through the Atlas then on to Fez) and though Essouira is not on the way, if I had the time, I would return.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I took a bus from Marrakesh to Essaouria, but back in the early 80s. I liked taking the bus and I loved Essaouria. I remember having to stop a lot on the highway because camels would cross the road and lie down in front and wouldn't move. Other camels would then come over to the bus driver's window and poke their heads in. It was a great experience. I think Essaouria has gone a bit chic these days, but back then it was real basic, but the people were really friendly. Happy Travels!