Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Should we go back to Tanzania?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/should-we-go-back-to-tanzania-327812/)

teresaandgreg Jun 16th, 2003 09:00 AM

Should we go back to Tanzania??

We went on a mobile camping safari in Tanzania in September of last year. Of course, we fell in love with Africa and are already trying to plan our next visit. Should we return to Tanzania, or should we explore other parts of Africa? I should say that we loved everything about Tanzania, and had incredible game-viewing and cultural experiences (and those would be our main interests on our next trip). And we would want to be able to do the mobile camping type of trip wherever we go. My thinking was to go back to Tanzania during a different time of year, perhaps February when lots of the animals will be having babies and the country will be a lot greener and will probably look like an entirely different country, compared to the extreme dry conditions that we experienced last year. I would be interested in hearing from some of you who have been to Tanzania and other countries, and get your thoughts.

Thanks

sandi Jun 16th, 2003 12:06 PM

Africa is a big continent and there is lots to see and discover. There are many posters here who have been to Tanzania many times, likewise, Kenya, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and Namibia.

So you could pick any one of the above countries for your next African Holiday.

My suggestion would be to travel to Southern Africa, where you can visit South Africa, an absolute must - a country offering city, country, culture, safari and pure magnificent beauty everywhere. And while you can never see everything in one country on the usual 2 to 3-wk vacation, you do have the opportunity once you're here to visit Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, hop over to Zambia and even Botswana, and even to Namibia.

Once you've gotten a taste of Southern Africa, you can then plan to return and spend more time in any one of the countries and even more South Africa.

Though Kenya was my first African experience, and the one that holds "my first love", I have since been to Tanzania, Egypt, So. Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana and plan to return again and again.

Your experience for animal sitings in Southern Africa versus East Africa will be quite different - you don't have the vastness of the Seregetti or the Maasa Mara - different, though not better or worse, but you'll sure see more Rhino than in East Africa.

As you browse this thread, you will see that this feeling exists in all who have visited and return again and again.

Besides, if I recall, February is rainy season in Tanzania; you might see more green than you did in September, and more babies, but also lots more mud.

Think South!!!

LizFrazier Jun 16th, 2003 01:49 PM

Hi Teresa and Greg-
I will be going to Tanzania in February 2004. Check out www.ndutu.com if you want to see past years reports for game and weather. I disagree that February is a rainy month on the southeren Serengeti. October/November and again in May is when it is rainy there.
The Wildebeests calve after the full moon in February and it is a very exciting time. There is a camp site at Ndutu, however we will be staying at the Ndutu Safari Lodge.
South Africa, i.e., Botswana where I've been is nice but in a different way. The Okavango Delta is wonderful and the mokoro rides and the migratory birds are especially nice. However you won't experience that same vastness as in East Africa and I don't think you are quite ready to try the south of Africa just yet. Just my opinion, but February/March in the Ngorongoro Conservation area cannot be beat.
We will also be going to the Masai Mara in September to see the Wildebeest when they cross into Kenya. So the huge migration is truly one of the most wonderful experiences in the world and if you didn't see them before, you most assuredly must see that before you move on.
P.S. I went to East Africa 4 times before I ever went to Botswana. So you see, there is a lot to do there and see while you're at it. You won't be disappointed. Liz

teresaandgreg Jun 17th, 2003 08:36 AM

Sandi and Liz, thank you each for your views. I must admit, right now I am pretty torn. I loved Tanzania and really think I want to go back there, but there is a little voice in my head telling me to see other parts of the country. It's good to hear from you, Liz, that you went to east africa 4 times before venturing elsewhere.
The unfortunate part is that it is going to be a couple of years before we can return, but I guess that gives me plenty of time to make up my mind.Thanks again.

rsnyder Jun 17th, 2003 09:37 AM

Teresa and Greg,

Even though I/we have been to Tanzania only once I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. As we contemplate going back in 2004 we face a similar question. From what I have read Tanzania has considerable diversity and that the southern parks are greatly different than the norhtern ones--so is the tourist traffic and of course the prices as well. Thus, we will take a look at different options and probably still focus on Tanzania. Budget, time of year, seasonal restrictions, etc will influence our decision. Good luck in your plans.
Dick

Kavey Jun 17th, 2003 12:11 PM

Teresa
If you're only young you have so many years ahead of you.
If your gut feeling is to go back to Tanzania - do it. Southern Africa will still be there in 4 years time if that's when you can go after the next trip.
:o)

SusanLynne Jun 18th, 2003 11:04 AM

Teresa: Yes, indeed go back to Tanzania, but give some thought to Kenya as well. It is right next door and offers some spectacular mobile camping opportunities. When you went to Tanzania last, did you visit the southern circuit at all. If not, I would highly recommend Selous. A boat ride on the Rufiji River should not be missed!!! Selous will give you a completely different feel for Afria. So few tourists and the opportunity to walk inside the reserve, with an armed ranger, of course. There are still areas in Kenya that are not completely innundated with tourists, like the northewestern section of the Mara and Meru or Shaba. Oh, so many places ....