Search

Single traveler

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single traveler

I am planning a trip in mid May 2016 to Tanzania. No friends or families want to go on a safari so I am planning on going by self. Looking at Kensington Travel. For anyone who has done this, will they out me in with a small group for game drives. I would rather be with others than just by self. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 05:26 PM

I think Kensington's niche is private trips. In fact their website states

<i>"Kensington's tailor-made journeys are carefully crafted to deliver a personalized adventure like no other. We build in extraordinary, enriching experiences curated just for you and put the best private guides at your service. The result is an experience that is more personal, more rewarding and frankly more fun."</I>

Then they go on to state the personalized itinerary they design "fits like a glove."

But it seems not be be a good fit for you per your <u>initial thoughts.</u>

So if a group trip is a must, then look elsewhere. Overseas Adventure Travel has some of the most economical pricing around. No personal experience. Lion World Travel also has some great deals. Again no personal experience but I know people who have traveled with Lion World and liked the trip.

The Africa Adventure Company in Florida (there are other companies with similar names but the one I am referring to is in Florida) does private and group trips and I've done both with them to Tanzania. My first trip was with them. They are always great.

A good wildlife travel company that does group trips which I've used 4 times and just returned 2 weeks ago is Natural Habitat. They're the only travel company to be carbon neutral. Never been to Africa with them but the other trips I've done have been wonderful. They have nice Tanzania itineraries.

There are lots of group departures for different budgets from a variety of companies out there if a group trip is your preference.

But please <b>do consider a private trip</b> if you can afford it. My first Africa trip was private (except for a couple of days). I continue to often go alone and love it. You might too. Here's why:

Your itinerary is just what you want--the parks that you want, the accommodations that you pick, the # of days you stay.

Each day you leave as early as you want, in accordance with park rules of course. Or you can sleep in and enjoy breakfast at the camp/lodge--as you wish.

You can stay out longer if you wish* maybe even all day with packed breakfasts and lunches or you can decide on a moment's notice to cut a drive short and go back to the camp/lodge for a swim or to relax or watch animals around the camp.

You can concentrate on the animals, birds, and scenery that you find most interesting.

The more important photography is to you, the more important a private vehicle becomes. Less movement in the vehicle. You can wait for the right light or the right pose, etc.

Going alone is a luxury with the major drawback being the cost.

* In Tanzania I really like the guide George Mbwambo, who works with the company The Wild Source, because we routinely stay out all day, meaning daylight hours. Some of my best cheetah viewing has been midday, so I appreciate this ability. You don't have to stay out all day, though. It's not like George makes you stay out. I'm going with George in a couple of months, but not May, so maybe he'd be available if you are interested.

Linked is a report of my last trip with George

http://safaritalk.net/topic/12456-th...zania-mid-feb/

Good luck on whatever you decide and it WILL be a trip of lifetime!
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 03:50 AM
SA1

Hello, I traveled solo to Tanzania last year. I decided that I had wanted to stay in tented camps. I chose Thomson Safaris and the tents and custom safari vehicles were as advertised. The single supplement was not too high. Group size is limited and everyone gets a window seat in the vehicle. Meals were OK and were communal so you would not be eating alone.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I have also talked to Thomson Safaris. I will get quotes from several of the others mentioned. I understand the advantages of going solo, but I'm pretty social and flexible, so I think I'd like to be with others on game drives. But I really appreciate all comments and suggestions
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 11:03 PM

May is a great time to go since the rates are quite low, also try getting quotes from http://www.rhinoafrica.com & http://www.exploreeastafrica.com/
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. I went ahead and booked with Thomson. I think it is what I want with everything. I am so envious of those who have already taken a safari and am looking forward to my trip. If anyone who has been has any thing they wish they had known before going, feel free to share. I will now read some other forums for information. Again, appreciate the replies.