Shots prior to going to Kenya and Tanzania !

Mar 14th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Shots prior to going to Kenya and Tanzania !

Will be going on safari to Kenya and Tanzania mid-July. Aside from Yellow fevor shot and Malaron for mosq. what other standard shots does one get? Was tested yesterday to see if i have antibodies for Hep A................anything else. I hate injections!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!
Mar 14th, 2013, 08:48 AM

It's recommended generally that all adults, whether traveling or not and aware that last inoculated for anything was probably in childhood... just be current on the likes of Tetanuus (DPT... good for 10/yrs), Hep-A (good for 10/yrs or life, depending on type given)... both of these diseases can just as easily be contracted in your own kitchen, local eatery or a day in the park... also a Polio Booster (good for life).

Discuss with your physician.
Needles are so fine these days you don't even feel them. Even when I've had later boosters to the above, on the same day... no side-effects.
Mar 14th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Look at the table on this page. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/kenya.htm Apparently no one gets the rabies shot unless you plan to handle animals. There is a similar page for Tanzania. It is the same except no requirement for the Meningococcal (meningitis). Typhoid vaccination is by pill. If you are getting Hep A, get B. You need a second shot after 6 months for it to be effective for 10 year.
Mar 14th, 2013, 05:15 PM

I would get Hep A. When I discussed whether or not I needed the shot, the Pasadena (California) Health Department nurse who was assisting me told me of a recent outbreak of Hep A among patrons of a well known downtown LA restaurant. That sealed my decision.

Search this Thread