jo

shots/pills for kenya

I am going to kenya in june and wonder what
kind of shots I n eed. Is there someone
out there who has been recently?
Thanks

Feb 15th, 2000, 04:11 PM
bly

Jo - Its best to check with the Center for Disease Control - I think its CDC.gov. It changes whenever theres an outbreak of anything. I was in Nairobi/Mombasa/Masai Mara... last Spring and got the following: tetnus booster, polio booster, Hep A, Cholera, Yellow Fever. Took typhoid and malaria prophylaxis. When traveling away from cities (safari) carried rx drugs - lomotil (immodium), antibiotics and painkillers. Also, buy stock in Pepto Bismol - you'll probably need it. Again - check the CDC and compare with what your doctor recommends. b

Mar 10th, 2000, 09:32 AM
Jennifer

Jo,
I'm going to Kenya in April with Abercrombie & Kent and their recommendations, along with the doctors at the Vanderbilt Travel Clinic, were for Yellow Fever and Typhoid Vaccinations, along with Hepatitis A and and update of your Tetanus vaccine. If you haven't had boosters of MMP (mumps measles and polio) since elementary school you may want to have that also. Make sure that you get Malaria pills, you need to start these at least 7 days prior to leaving the US. Also have your doctor prescribe an antibiotic for Diarhea, just in case!

Mar 17th, 2000, 03:44 PM
susan

To Jennifer: I think you also need a meningitis shot. I also went to the Vanderbilt Travel Clinic before a trip to Africa and they didn't give me this shot, even though it was recommended on the CDC site.

As it turned out, there was an outbreak of meningitis while I was there. Whatever. I wasn't overly worried about getting any of those diseases, but since I took the time to go down there and get the shots, they should have given me everything.

This was the most minor of several problems I had with the Vanderbilt Travel Clinic. I suppose it varies with whatever intern they have rotating through there at the particular time you go, but my impression was that they aren't very thorough.

Have a great time in Kenya!

Search this Thread