Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Shots help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/shots-help-87728/)

LEANNA Sep 25th, 2000 06:25 PM

Shots help!

I want to get a typhoid shot before my trip in April. I live in Valencia,Ca which is just north of the San Fernando Valley. A private dr. is the only way and my insurance wont cover it. I was quoted $75 for the shot today and $30 for the visit. This is steep to me. Is there anywhere in this area I can go to get this shot for a cheaper amount??? Thank you for any help.

carol Sep 27th, 2000 10:16 AM

In our area (northern California), there is a doctor specializing in travel who will give the shots without a visit fee (although he recommends a $75 consultation for prescriptions and advice). His price is about half what you were quoted for typhoid. He was recommended by our pediatrician, so maybe another doctor in your area will know of someone like this. Also, did you try the county health department? P.S. He also recommended tetanus, polio and Hep A for Egypt.

LEANNA Sep 27th, 2000 07:14 PM

Hi Carol.....Yes I'm getting the Hep A & B from my own dr. and those are covered so I"m cool there. Already had my tetanus last year so cool there. The nurse/dr I talked to was the private dr. in my area and that is what he charges. I will try the local health clinic. I tried to call..HA!! Ill drop in and see what I can find out. I just cant' fathom the fee I was quoted. <BR> <BR>Years ago you just went to the clinic and got the shots....$5 each!! Ah the good old days huh? Thanks....and if anyone else has info...please speak up!! :)

cash Sep 28th, 2000 03:47 PM

Do you really feel you need typhoid shots (when I got them 10yrs ago, it was 2 of them)? I was going on safari in Kenya. I would never do it again for a trip like that - not much chance of picking up typhoid unless you are out in the hinterland and really roughing it or doing something other than tourist things, like missionary or peace corps) and a waste of pain and money. <BR>

LEANNA Sep 28th, 2000 07:45 PM

Hi....oh well....Cash..you raise a good point. I never thought to think independently...these were told to me by my dr....so I just agreed. Hmmm? Of course if I get them now I wont ever have to again...but still. Well you certainly have given me fodder to ponder. Thanks!

carol Sep 29th, 2000 05:02 PM

Hi Leanna,Some more thoughts on the typhoid shot. One travel doctor told me it is only about 50% effective and that typhoid is curable with antibiotics, so he felt the shot was optional for Egypt. Another travel doctor told me that 50% effective meant that it would work unless I got a really big dose of germs. He also said I might run into a antibiotic resistent strain. I don't know who is right, but I thought I'd pass this along. Oh, also, he said it only lasts for 2 years. <BR>

cash Oct 1st, 2000 04:15 AM

Hi Leanna, <BR>Carol is right, most shots (with the exception of Yellow Fever which is a 1shot deal) have limited effective times. I thought typhoid was 6 mos, but Carol may be more right. Doctors give out lists of stuff and are not always taking into consideration what you are doing, nor are they experts on diseases not ususally found here in the USA. The CDC website gives up- to-date breakouts of diseases and travellers need to know how and where you can pick up these diseases to make a good judgment about vaccinations, etc. Even the Hepatitis' aren't that easy to get in most cases (I forget which is which with them.). We are going on a land and cruise trip from Istanbul to Kenya end of the month with additional stops in Egypt, Jordan, Djibouti, and short safari in Kenya and this time no shots were even recommended. Oh well.

Angela Oct 1st, 2000 05:56 AM

For Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel. The following are recommended ie you should make sure you are up to date with these before going-: <BR>Polio 5years after primary course then 10yearly <BR>Tetanus 5 years after primary course then 10yearly <BR>Typhoid full dose polysaccharide every three years <BR>Hep A gives 1 year protection <BR>The following are sometimes recommended speak to your Doctor for advice. <BR>Diptheria, BCG, Hep B (speak to Doctor). No need for Malaria medication in tourist areas. Just usual precautions. Rabies sometimes (again speak to Doctor. <BR>Need a yellow Fever certificate only if coming from an infected country. <BR>These are the most up to date recommendations from NHS (British National Health Service) that we adhere to - <BR>Angela

LEANNA Oct 1st, 2000 06:30 PM

Angela. THANK YOU!!!! Very consise and organized. I've printed it out and will take it in to my dr. when I go. I'm covered for the Hap A& B....so that will be taken care of. I'm also investigating a local clinic. Again thank you for you most clear answer..it is greatly appreciated!

buckspc Oct 14th, 2000 05:18 AM

Shots, <BR>I am a member of Kaiser and the shots are free and no charge for visit. We went to China last year and got polio, and hep. tet. no charge. The nurse has a book and looks up the countries you are going to and the rec. shots. We are going to Kenya in March so will be going to the shot clinic again to see what is rec. After reading these posts I am glad I have Kaiser, Buckspc

LEANNA Oct 14th, 2000 07:42 PM

Hi Buckspc....lucky you w/ Kaiser. Im ok w/ the hep ..that will be covered...but was trying to find a cheaper place to get the typhoid. The local dr. the immunization clinic told me about is over $100 for just that one shot. Thought about just skipping it but then talked to someone locally who told me to get every shot you can!! GAD! Europe is def. easier to travel to!! :) But then...hey this is Egypt!! Lets just hope the madness stopsand does not grow and we can all get there on our appointed dates!!

topper Oct 16th, 2000 08:21 AM

to the top

KB Oct 29th, 2000 02:23 PM

I just received my typhoid shot at the health department. It was $39. The worst parts were the wait -- two hours and the naseau I experienced after the shot. The CDC strongly recommends it for Zimbabwe, so I got it.

LEANNA Oct 29th, 2000 07:44 PM

Hi KB...where do you live that you have a health dept that gave you the shot. I was told that L.A. did not do that. Thanks.