Shots for Morocco?

Jun 5th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Eileen

Shots for Morocco?

Will be traveling to Morocco for a week in July. Also spending a week in Spain. Is it necessary to get any vaccinations for Morocco, and if so, which ones? What about the water? Someone told me to bring my own bottled water with me from Spain. Is this really necessary? Also, any helpful hints on dress and food would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 5th, 2000, 11:27 PM
Joelle

We just came back from a week in Morocco and we're alive! Just check the CDC site for vaccinations, if any are required.
You can easily buy bootled water in many shops there (plain or fizzy).
We were in Marrakech and Ouarzazate and found a lot of tourists there not really dressed the formal muslim way, but it was not a problem. However I would suggest to avoid shorts and sleeveless shirts, just not to offend local people too much, although they see tourists all year long.

Jun 6th, 2000, 06:02 AM
elvira

We were in Morocco for two weeks, and did not get any inoculations for the trip, and didn't get sick. Veteran travelers recommended shots only if traveling to very remote areas.

There is plenty of bottled water in Morocco; we even drank Coke with ICE in it, with no ill effects.

I'm a desert rat, and we know not to expose our skin to the sun anymore than we have to. It makes health sense to wear longer sleeves and skirts/pants; luckily, it also is respectful of the culture (although Moroccan women wear everything from full choudra to jeans and leather jackets).

Food is lots of lamb and chicken, root vegetables, and couscous. It's very, very good, so do try it. None of our meals was unhealthy; we did have very odd spaghetti in Fez (as in Bolognese sauce made with Moroccan spices, not Italian spices).

Search this Thread