shots

Apr 10th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

shots

how important are the vaccanations before going to Kenya. They are rather expensive and not covered by our insurance. Any advice is welcome.
Apr 10th, 2004, 02:38 PM
sandi

It's all the "cost of your trip" - Yellow Fever is a must and is costly. You should also have HepA, Tetanus - both of these are good for 10-years and serve you just as well back at home.

But discuss with your physician and see what he/she says. I got my HepA, Tetanus and Polio Booster from my primary care doctor and it didn't cost me anything but my office co-pay. The important thing is that the doctor mark that these as "preventative medicine/updating inoculations" - not to say anything about "travel".

But my feeling is "better safe then sorry" - you have to make your own decision.

Apr 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM

I had to call our insurance company four times before we got a general consensus on whether innoculations were covered under our policy. The first time we were told "no," the next three times I called I was told "yes." Went to a local travel clinic and they did what Sandi mentioned - noting the Tet, Hep A and polio booster as "updating." The yellow fever and meningitis incoculation - which our family physician recommended - ended up also being covered. Don't rely on one phone call. If push comes to shove and you really want to limit how much you spend on innoculations I would recommend you definitely get the yellow fever shot and certainly a prescription for anti-malerial medication, which can also be costly.

Search this Thread