Short trip to Egypt

Jan 15th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Short trip to Egypt

I am planning a short stop in Cairo and Aswan Egypt. I have been reading some of the posts on here and other sites, and I have a few questions mainly about the currency. Right now 1 US dollar is worth 6 Egyptian Pounds. If I bought a shirt in the states for $5 would I pay 30LE for the same one in Egypt or is the pound seen as less? Also with the baksheesh what is a good amount? And how many LE is seen as a big amount of money?

I will be traveling independently but want to find a guide for the day. My stay will be for 4 days total after travel time. I want to see the sphinx and the great pyramids than travel to see Abu Simbel. I found a tour for each and since I will be going solo it will be a private tour with just the guide and me. The pyramids and sphinx for $76 and the private tour from Aswan to Abu Simbel is $225. I think this seems high but does that sound like a fair amount? They are with viators.com, this was suggested by a travel agent. I looked into Lady Egypt but they seem to only offer longer tours. Any suggestions for one or two day tours?
Jan 16th, 2012, 02:05 AM

coinmill.com/EGP_USD.html conversion here you are correct.
Viator.com ladyegypt.com casualcairodetours.com all recoed
here find savings of 50% booking boots on the ground.Stay flexible insuremytrip.com.

Have fun!
Jan 16th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Check with Debbie at http://casualcairodetours.com for tours.

She can also help with your money questions. But keep in mind, what seems like a small amount to most westerners, is a great deal for Egyptians.

If the exchange rate is now 6 LE per $1, that is pretty good. When I lived there it fluctuated between 4 and 5 LE per dollar. d
Jan 19th, 2012, 12:21 AM

I would recommend Heba to any traveler looking for a guide in Egypt. was fastest and most professional and her offer was very reasonable, She speaks excellent English and was always friendly, smiling and professional. Amazing. We were very comfortable with her and she was obviously well respected by the people working at the sites. She is extremely knowledgeable and passionate.
I contacted her at [email protected]

Search this Thread