Short trip from J'Burg

Sep 13th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Short trip from J'Burg

Hi.
In the beginning of November, I'll catch a flight from Bangcok to South Anmerica that stops in J'Burg.
Considering it's a long flight, and I've never been to S Africa, I'm thinking about staying in J'Burg for a couple of days.
Could you tell me about a cheap way to going to a game reserve?
Thanks.
Sep 13th, 2003, 01:13 PM

There are many here better equipped to answer this than I but I'll take a first stab at an answer by first asking some of my own?

Have you been on safari in Africa before?

Are there particular things you are looking/ hoping for from a safari? (For example, seeing the big 5 or taking a walking tour through the landscape)

What kind of budget do you have for the safari portion?

How many nights can you afford to give to the safari?

Knowing these kind of things would help greatly in terms of being able to provide best advice.

If you have a high budget and not much time, for example, and if luxury accommodation is as important to you as first class game viewing, you might choose to take a local flight from Jo'burg airport to one of the private concessions by Kruger and stay in one of the fine game lodges there.

Alternatively, you might prefer to hire a rental car and take a scenic drive of the region which concentrates on scenery and history (you can spend a few days just touring and learning more about the famous Zululand battles).

You could self drive in Kruger staying in the government run accommodation and self catering.

You could even extend the trip further and give yourself a week to allow you to take game drives in Kruger and then spend a few days down in St Lucia for excellent birding or in Hluhluwe-Umfolozi for rhino spotting.

Best of luck and welcome to the mad house!
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:36 PM

I would go to Pilanesberg close to Sun City for this one. It is a little more than an hour's drive from JHB and you should be able to see quite a few wild animals. The one benefit of Pilanesberg is that you do not have to take malaria medicine which you will have to take should you go to Kruger Park. Kruger is about 4 - 5 hours' drive from JHB. (You can of course fly there.)

The benefit of Kruger, on the other hand, is that there is quite a bit more to see in the area around Kruger. All of this would depend on how much time you have to spend.
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:08 AM

I assume you would like to do day trips, so I would suggest that you stay in a B&B in Jhb, rent a car and do the following trips:
1. Pilanesberg National Park and take in Sun City/Lost City at the same time
2. Closer is the Lion and Rhino park, an easy day trip.
3. To get up close and personal with wildlife go to Glen Afriq, these animals are quite tanme and are used in movies and TV commercials, also do the De Wildt Cheetah farm thye same day.
Enjoy your visit!
Peter

Search this Thread