Short tour of Egypt

Aug 10th, 2000, 11:15 AM
S. Dorosin

Short tour of Egypt

Ny wife and I will be cruising into Alexandria Egypt for a day and a half. We want to get to Cairo, see some sights, possible stay over, take a short Nile cruise and we have to be back to the ship in Alexandria by 1pm the next day, Questions:
How to get back and forth safely from Alexandria to Cairo and get a guide in Cairo? Place to stay also needed in Cairo? Thank you so much.

Aug 12th, 2000, 04:08 AM
cash

I would think that the cruise line would offer an excursion to Cairo - maybe not overnight though. Your travel agent should be able to hook you up with a local tour company as well. I don't know if there are day cruises on the Nile in Cairo, but I would spend my time on land since it is another river going thru a huge city (just my opinion) in that area. Alexandria may be of more interest than you think - I would check that out, too. The main advantage of taking a cruise line sponsored excursion is that the ship won't leave until you get back - something to think about when time may be tight.

Aug 13th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Alice

The train is your best option to get from Alex to Cairo.(about two and one-half hours). You will need to take a taxi from your dock to the train station. (These trains don't run frequently so you may or may not have a wait). Que up to buy your ticket to Cairo (first class about 30 Egyptian pounds). [I don't remember if you can go ahead and buy your return ticket at the same time or if you have to get it in Cairo. If you were unable to get your return ticket back to Alex go ahead and get it before you leave the station in Cairo]. I stayed at the Windsor Hotel and it's not far from the train station in Cairo. (taxi 5 pounds) It's certainly not fancy but has a whole lot of history to it (www.windsorcairo.com) OR, for a splurge go to the Nile Hilton (again taxi 5 pounds) which is located on the Nile River in downtown Cairo right next to the Egyptian Museum. You can walk across the street (do this very carefully!!) and there will be a bunch of fellucas that will take you out on the Nile for a sail (or check with the front desk for a dinner cruise on the Nile). The Cornish along the Nile in front of this hotel makes for a wonderful stroll. Cash did have a good point about the possibility of you missing your ship if you plan this on your own, but I'm pretty sure that the trains' schedules are very reliable. As for a guide in Cairo you can make arrangements with the front desk of your hotel or just ask any taxi driver to take you around (ie Pyramids, the Khan bazarre, etc.). Taxi drivers you wave down on the street are much more reasonable than the ones stationed in front of the hotels. I hired a taxi for about five hours to take me around and his charge was 60 Egyptian pounds. Beware of places the taxi driver will want to take you (papyrus shops, perfume shops, etc. as they are looking for a commission from the purchases you make) unless, of course, you want to go to these places. Your worst enemy on getting from Alex to Cairo is the travel time and that can't be helped, so I hope your ship gets in very early to Alex so you can get an early start to Cairo. I believe the Tour Egypt travel site has a train schedule on it [www.touregypt.net (or com)]. Just scroll to transportation and somewhere that ol' schedule will pop up. If you can't find it, e-mail me and I'll check my folders for the info. Hope this helps. Ali

Aug 31st, 2000, 06:32 PM
Mary

The train is VERY reliable, from our experiences. However, if your schedule doesn't match it's schedule, you can probably hire a car (taxi) to take you to Cairo. Pay what it's worth to you and forget about worrying whether you paid too much or not. I would suggest hiring a car (taxi) to take you around Cairo and spending the night at the Mena House (at the base of the Pyramids), so that you can be in and out of the Pyramid(s) EARLY in the morning (before the crowds).

I don't know if this helps, but you're welcome to email me, if you want.

Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:54 PM
Prue

Darlene, I am bringing this to the top for you rather than you having to do a search.

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Odel

Hi all. I going to Texas for a holiday. I am leaving on the 14Apr and return on the 29 April. I will be spending a night in Cairo.Will reach there at 16:30pm and stay the night and will fly back to JHB at 02:45. I am a female and am a little scared to be on my own. Any ideas what I could do in that time. How do i dress? Don't wanna wear mini and am beaten in the street.8-) I am appreciate if anyone can help me. Pls mail me on [email protected]
Thanking you in advance.Odel

Mar 26th, 2001, 06:36 PM
wagih

hi how are you i am here to till you what do you want about EGYPT and Cairo if you are still intrested to know any thing about it just ask me by sending an E:Mail to me

Search this Thread