Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Short Skirts okay for Safari in Tanzania? If so, what shoes are most comfortable with the skirts that don't look "clunky"?

Search

Short Skirts okay for Safari in Tanzania? If so, what shoes are most comfortable with the skirts that don't look "clunky"?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever gone on a safari wearing a short skirt? There are so many lightweight "aerobic-type" skirts I've seen, but don't know if they're 'appropriate'.. I am very comfortable in this type of thing, even more comfortable than wearing shorts (and I think it's more attractive as well), BUT, I can't imagine wearing clunky sneakers or hiking boots and socks with a skirt, can you? Has anyone any recommendations on a particular brand of footwear that would go nicely with capris or skirts rather than sneakers or hiking shoes? Silly, I know, but I'm leaving early June and beginning my packing! This is for East Africa in early June. Also.. are dust jackets recommended for cameras do you know? And a heavy fleece or is a light fleece okay? Thanks for your experienced advice!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:13 AM

I hate wearing socks with skirts...so 1980s.

Scott
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM

For certain short skirts (any skirts for that matter) are better/easier for potty stops in the bush

As to shoes, while in the vehicle, I guess anything that is comfy, but once you have to walk about, suggest something with more protection... there are accacia tree needles that are killers if you stop on one.

I mostly wear mocassins, though slip-in Ked-type sneakers and these do look good with skirts; better than flimsy flip-flops or ballet slippers.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM

I'm a pants and sneakers gal myself, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

First a couple of caveats about the short skirt concept in general...

Depending on the exactly where you are going, there might be cultural issues with wearing a short skirt - I can't say.

It might be rather chilly in the morning especially.

It might be really buggy if you are still wearing this at twilight.

However, if you are most comfortable in a short skirt, that is your business, so I'll try to suggest an answer to your question. I've heard some people recommend slip on shoes such as clogs -- the advantage is that you can easily step out of them if you want to stand on the seat. I'm sure you could find some cute clogs or slip-on shoes.

Another possibility is sport sandals. Land's End has them in all different colors.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM

I am the last person to write anything about fashion. But that's not stopping me here.

Teadrinker, I don't think you'll see many other short skirts on safari. Sliding in and out of the vehicle and around on the seats is not conducive to short vehicles.

In an enclosed vehicle in East Africa, you may be standing and the person next to you may be sitting with their head reaching to your skirt hem.

In early mornings and late afternoons (or into the evening) your legs will likely be cold if exposed. With zipoff pants, you can easily adjust the fabric on your legs for the weather.

Most people wear tennis shoes of some sort on safari, but I think crocs are becoming more popular and the ones with holes in them (maybe they all have holes) add some breathing comfort.

Those in the tourism business will not be phased by any clothing choice, but if you venture off that beaten path I believe those in the villages would find a short skirt to be jarring.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all of you. I went to TJ Maxx and found some easy slip in sneakers which may work. Also, the safari company said the skirt would be fine along with flip flops as we won't be getting out of our vehicle much at all. Lastly, it's just our family in the safari vehicle, and the guide, so it'll be more comfortable being with family. I won't wear the skirt "out", say if we tour a village..
it's just that those zip off pants are so high waisted and ugly! Ill (ill) fitting too, I must say!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM

Another point about short skirts: in addition to climbing into a tall vehicle, you'll be standing up on the seats for game viewing and perhaps even sitting on the roof. Your driver/guide usually stays seated, so it's really not appropriate to be wearing a short skirt in this situation. I'm sure he would try to keep his eyes averted, but I just don't see that wearing a short skirt would be doable. In June, it's going to be chilly or even cold in the early mornings, so I don't think you'd want to be wearing a skirt then, anyway. Wearing one around the camp or lodge during a midday break might be okay, but you're still looking at whether that's culturally appropriate to wear one around the camp staff.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM

Flip flops are a real pet peeve of mine.

I see flip flops all the time on airplanes. What happens if you have to get off the plane in a hurry? What happens if you need to get out of the safari vehicle in a hurry.

Flip flops are fine at the pool..but in a safari vehicle I want something tied to my feet.

Also the animals do not care what you look like. Neither do the ranger and trackers.

Scott
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM

Great point ShayTay on the eye level of the driver, which will be right at hem level.

There are lots of things you possibly could wear on safari and not cause an uproar wherever you went if you remained in the vehicle: mini-skirts, hoop skirts, a faux fur, stiletto heels, a tiara, false eyelashes, cummerbund, etc. but I would not recommend it. Ok, I did take battery operated warming socks once, I confess. And I used them the day it snowed in Johannesburg for the first time in 24 years.

Scootr has a good point as well, that no one, including the animals you've gone to see, cares about your attire. That is one of the charms of most safaris.

For the camera, I have kept mine in a back pack and/or camera case to save it from dust. A dust jacket could not hurt.

You will want warmth if you go to the crater. Rather than one heavy fleece, I prefer a medium fleece, a wind breaker (mine is Gortex for any rain), and various shirts and pullover layers.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM

I regularly see camp staff wearing skirts of all lengths; rarely short-short ones.

So, how short is short?

Above mid-thigh, might simply be too uncomfortable (cold, difficult to navigate in/out of vehicles) or revealing even if good for potty calls.

Short skirts seems to work fine on 15/yr olds, though once in your 30s, 40s, 50s regardless how good the legs... reconsider long shorts even crop pants. There's no reason to have to wear the convertible pants, which I have to admit are "not a fashion item" though many choose this.

As other mention, the mornings will be cold, as well late afternoon, evening and night-times. Though in a vehicle most of the time, and unless on full-day game drives, short skirts only work for a few hours mid-day when the temps warm.

The guides have seen every imaginable attire, so in the end it's up to you.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM

The guides may have seen every imaginable attire, but it's whether Teadrinker wants to "flash" her guide that's the issue. There's also the issue of temps in the mornings and evenings. I rarely ever zipped off the legs of my zip-off pants in June in Tanzania. I usually had on my jacket or at least my fleece vest.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM

Buy some Mella flip flops they have a bit of a heel, look good with skirts. Or espadrilles
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM

frankly - i would not consider a skirt appropriate for game drives; in camp it's okay - as long as the legs are supporting that idea ;-)
and a short one in a country where a good part of the population's believe and lifestyle is muslim it's even more inappropriate.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM

My concern with a short skirt would also be ease of getting in and out of the vehicle and potentially flashing someone. I don't know what your itinerary's like and what type of vehicle you'll have. Enclosed vehicles are generally easier to get in/out of. Some open vehicles (primarily used by camps and not tour operators) have a ladder and you simply climb over the side. And as ShayTay mentioned, you may want to stand on the seat and/or sit on the roof if you have an open hatch vehicle (not while it's moving).
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM

I haven't been on a safari yet, so I really have no useful information to impart, but a golf-type "skort" would take care of the potential for flashing and would be no more revealing than shorts (or zip off pants with the bottoms zipped off). I don't wear 'em myself, but Nike and the other athletic companies have comfy looking ones. Slip on sneakers like Vans would look fine with these -- not a fashion statement, but not a ridiculous look either.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM

I'll ask Lady Keen-ya and get back to you. LOL
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM

Lady Keen-ya has come out of retirement for a few words on fashion.

Whilst on safari a mini is preferable to a swimming costume but I fear that in addition to feeling a bit parky, you may unintentionally offer glimpses of your pants to the driver, rendering him gobsmacked. While looking chunky, gym shoes are still gumshoes. Don't forget your jumper for early mornings and cool evenings.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

These were all really cute answers to my query of the short skirt - it's not THAT short.. I'm short myself.. and I'm not a flasher the way Britney Spears (was that her name) was!!! It was just cute, very light in weight, and something that looked easy to throw on - and it's mid-thigh.. not mini mini!
So.. I'll throw it in, but probably won't wear it on the safari, but maybe for lunch, how's that? The woman at the place we're going to said that it'd be fine to wear a short skirt... that we will not get out of the vehicle at all.. only once, when we get out for some coffee or tea for the morning one, and for a special drink for the evening one. I didn't even THINK we'd be standing up climbing all over the vehicle.. if we do that, then DEFINITELY the skirt stays off (and replaced by something more appropriate, of course, like those rather manly looking cut offs.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM

In your eventual report teadrinker, you must include some skirt or skort photos, whatever you end up wearing. Maybe with an animal or scenic landscape in the background.

Your comment of Britney on safari gave me the shivers. At least we'd never have to share a vehicle with her with her money.

You would be surprised how much sitting, standing, and moving around for photos and viewing there is in the vehicle. When you all know each other (family), there may be even more if it because you won't be concerned with jostling strangers.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM

I am taking a couple of knee length skirts but only for lunch or dinner on safari and for our time in London after. I bought a very nice pr. of lightweight sneakers from Clarks that don't look like sneakers. They look nice with the skirts and with the capris I'm bringing. Since we are traveling in August it was recommended to take a light weight fleece jacket (Columbia). Also layers are good so am packing some ss t shirts, ls shirt, as well as wind/rain proof light jacket. Bought some waterproof pillow case covers at Wal Mart to protect camera gear from the dust-got that advice from another poster. Have a nice trip. Will be looking forward to reading all about it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -