Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Short safari from Mombasa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/short-safari-from-mombasa-485828/)

Scotsonsafari Nov 13th, 2004 12:29 AM

Short safari from Mombasa

We are on a 2 week beach holiday near Mombasa from 26th Dec and would like to do a 2/3 day safari - we dont mind distance if we can fly there - canvas or lodge (my wifes a hopeless romantic so I think it will be canvas!)Ive read some stuff here on Tsavo East which seems to be the closest to us but Masi Mara seems the one to do. Ive e mailed Sun Trek for some rates - (good web site) Best wishes from freezing Scotland!

Tere Nov 14th, 2004 12:36 AM

You are in good hands with Sun Treck. I booked my safari in Kenya next August with them, after asking for quotes to many other companies and they were the ones to give me the best price!Excellent I would say. They also have great raves from Fodorites!Best wishes from sunny Portugal (though a little cold, lol)

katj232 Nov 14th, 2004 01:22 PM

You can't go wrong with sunTrek. I used them for a 3 week vacation last June. I could not have been happier. Good Luck from Sunny Southern California

Scotsonsafari Nov 15th, 2004 11:24 AM

Thanks Tere and katj 232. I'll keep doing the research - so many choices. If either of you could give me any tips/advice I would appreciate it. We're also looking forward to some golf there too as there's a course close to the Southern Palms. Big five and "birdies" too - hopefully! - regards Jack

Tere Nov 17th, 2004 12:12 AM

I think the best person to give you advice is Sandi, a regular poster on this forum who has much knowledge on Africa. I think the best place for safari in Kenya is really the Mara, but i can't tell you if it's easy to do it from Mombasa.
Ask that to Sun Trek, they are very good at giving you any advice.
After much search I decided to stay in the Mara Serena Lodge and at Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp in the Mara.
If you are deciding for Tsavo, take a look at Finch Hattons Camp. It's gorgeous. Good luck!

sandi Nov 17th, 2004 06:22 AM

Tere - great minds think alike. Fitch Hattons would be my choice at Tsavo - it's lovely and oh, so romantic and "it's canvas"

Scotsonsafari - The Mara is always lovely with lots of "canvas" options, but you might find that during the Christmas/New Years period, most everything will be booked and all add a surcharge to their already high rates for camps that would be of interest.

However, at Fitch Hattons, while with 35-tents, the prices are likely to be high, there won't be many vehicles around, other then those from this camp.

In Tsavo East you will also find Galdessa Camp, one of those belonging to the Bush Home group, and have a Honeymoon Banda away from other tents. There is also a conservation program here for Black Rhino.

Another at Tsavo East is Kilalinda with only 6 cottages; again a Bush Home property. Bush Home properties tend to be expensive, but you won't find many tourists and vehicles around. Staying at a Bush Home property, you're treated more as a house guest, rather then a tourist.

And closer-by, in Shimba Hills - there is Mukurumuji Tented Camp, an hours drive from the coast with only 4 comfortable tents, but might not be as luxurious as the others mentioned - only closer.

While you can drive to Mukurumuji, the others will require a flight (to the Mara, Tsavo East or West), so this will have to be your decision. Discuss these with your tour operator for prices and see which works for you and meets your budget.

Let us know what you decide and do provide a report when you return homel. Happy traves.

Scotsonsafari Nov 20th, 2004 10:05 AM

Sandi and Tere - thanks once again for the tips - I will certainly check out your suggestions - I did'nt realise we could fly to Tsavo East/West - had a quote from our tour company for there but they priced for driving there which looks like approx 80 -200 miles one way which feels long when our time is limited - I've had a response from Suntrek (Sultana!) - some initial communication problems but we're getting there!

JanGoss Nov 22nd, 2004 04:44 PM

Scotsonsafari:

Ditto to all Sandi has said. However don't rule out Satao Tented Camp at Tsavo East. Perhaps not quite as "posh" as Finch Hattons or Galdessa but it is a truly wonderful place for a lot less money. I have stayed there on six occasions (and will be returning in February) and I absolutely love it.

You can be picked up at your Mombasa hotel at about 8 a.m. You drive to Buchuma Gate in a little less than 2 hours. Then have about an hours game drive in the park on the way in to camp. Have lunch and then another game drive.

There is a borehole in front of the tents and you can watch the animals day and night. Food is very good. Staff very attentive. The suite tents (larger than some) have refrigerator and fan.

Tsavo East is vast and very few tourists have yet caught on to it. You never have the crowds of vehicles here that you do in other parks. Provided it is the dry season, you will see tons of elephants, zebra, lion, cheetah, dik dik, giraffe, impala, monkeys and babboons, some buffalo and many others. You can look it up at
www.sataocamp.com. If you have any questions don't hesitate to get in touch.

Jan

Scotsonsafari Nov 27th, 2004 01:07 AM

Jan

Thanks for the tip - but with work commitments piling up this week I havent had a chance to read your post till now and I have gone ahead and booked. I have gone through African Quest visiting Little Governors in the Mara for 2 nights. We thought what the hell - lets go for it. We may only do this once! It seems to be a pretty good rate (relatively speaking) and should be a great experience by the reviews Ive read.