shona art

Apr 25th, 2000, 09:33 AM
michele

shona art

If it is safe.
we will be traveling to zimbabwe.. on jul 6,00

the main reason for our travels to zim. is for the shona art work.
we would like to buy and ship some home to the u.s.(personal use)
does anyone have any suggestions where to look
for the shona art that is not a tourist trap..

Apr 26th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Lily

If you are still looking e-mail me direct and I will be happy to send you my father's name phone and address (in Zimbabwe)he will know where to look. He is currently in Sydney but will be heading for Bulawayo next week.

Jan 17th, 2004, 10:59 PM

Hi Lily,
I saw you posting on shona Art from back in 2000. I received a gift of this art with a marriage proposal. It is the most exquisite thing I have ever received. I want to go to this country and see this art work for myself. I saw that you answered someone else with detail on someone who might be able to make a few references. Would you be so kind as to make introductions for us as well. We are planning to be in Zim on Valentine's day 2004. thank you kindly in advance.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Dear Diaspora,
I lived in Zimbabwe a couple of years back and on a honeymoon trip back to Harare we shipped three large Shona scupture back to California.

I would strongly recommend two places to look at Shona scultpure which your will see everywhere in Zimbabwe.

The National Gallery in Harare has a wonderful collection and an excellent shop with work by many famous and up and coming makers.

We bought our sculptures from the Canon Paterson Cooperative in Mbare, a taxi will take you out there it's on the right as you go into Mbare before the covered craft market. What we liked about Canon Paterson is that because it's a cooperative the artists see a far larger percentage of the price you pay,compared with the galleries in town. They have a very wide choice of interesting innovative sculpture and you have the opportunity to see the stone being sculpted and meet the artists who work in the back of the cooperative.

They shipped home three scultures for us and were completely reliable...in fact the allowed us to drop off things we had bought elsewhere to go into our shippment. They packed everything tightly with newspaper and built a wooden crate for it all to be shipped in.

We opted for the pick up at customs option and I had to go down and pick up the crate at the Port of Oakland. I know that you can have it shipped directly to your home but it's a more expensive option. When we shipped the sculpture (just over three years ago)there was no duty charged on stone sculpture.

Do fee free to bargain on the assigned priced especially if you are buying a number of large peices, however don't expect the very cheap prices you find on the streetside vendors.

Hope that helps, you'll love Zimbabwe!

Search this Thread