Shompole

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shompole

Has anybody been to Shompole recently?

Eventually we have three days in addition in between the Mara and Nairobi. Shompole seems to be not too far and pics on http://www.shompole.com/ do look nice. But Naibor seems to be gone down...

Thanks!!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM

steffid, I was in Shompole last year. Trip report is at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35061546
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Not too far, but if by road, it's 4/hrs each way. Beautiful drive down the escarpment till you reach Lake Magadi. Here there is an industrial plant (not very attractive); then sand road to the camp.

Otherwise, it's a private charter flight; about 40/min in the air.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rizzuto, after that trip report I know that Shompole is not the thing I am looking for.

Sandi, waht would you do with three additional days? We have already 7 days in the Mara (Bush Camp and Explorer). How about Saruni or Serian just outside the parc (you already know that we are always looking for night drives;-) or Olonan (which we already know. Waht else could be done (not too much on the road). Cottars??

Thanks for help!!!
steff
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM

We loved our time in the Laikipia area, which would have you heading northwest of Nairobi, by private charter from the Mara.

Stayed at Sabuk and Loisaba on the same conservation land. Camel treks or rides, ATVs, bike riding, game drives; at Loisaba there are the Starbeds - most romantic sleeping under the stars.

Or, head out to Tsavo - Campi ya Kanzi in the Chyulu Hills area of Tsavo West - Mzima Springs and the lava flows. Or, Ol Donyo Wuas (also in the vicinity; might currently being refurbished); private charter to CYK or scheduled flight w/transfer from Finch Hatton's airstrip for CYK and ODW. Maybe to Galdessa in Tsavo East.

Tsavo is largest reserve i Kenya, very big, varied eco-environments, with ellees, predators, oryx, zebra, giraffe. Way fewer vehicles and tourists.

Though after long stays at Samburu, Nakuru and the Mara, you might be "gamed out." Only you'll know. Check them out.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I was also going to suggest Laikipia but saw that your extra nights are after your time in the Mara, so it would entail some backtracking and coming from the Mara means you'll need a charter flight for either Laikipia or Tsavo as the scheduled flights depart Nairobi too early for you to connect. If you were thinking of traveling by road, there's not much that I can think of that would be close to the Mara so perhaps as you've suggested, the best option would be to choose another camp outside of the reserve.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Would you suggest to go to Cottars Camp? I always wanted to go there, but we decided for Mara explorer after all to be near the migration. Now having three more days, Cottars would be a new option...

Private charter would be too expensive.

Thanks!!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM

steffid,
cottar's is a wonderful camp and depending on time of travel you might be close to the migrating herds.

the disadvantage: they have a pick up fee which is 110US$/per way from keekorok airstrip.

what about the new saruni/samburu? 3 nts. is worthwhile to go up there...

div
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Cottar's is lovely (and very expensive). However, the scheduled flights are either 10am or 3pm from Wilson. And if to the Keekorok airstrip, there's a pick-up/transfer fee; drive time from airstrip can be almost 2/hrs. took us almost 3/hrs, but we did stop along the way.

A road transfer from Explorer can run in the $300+ range. For that matter a road transfer to Saruni would cost about the same, a tad less to Serian.

Do you want more game viewing? If so, see if you can add a few days at Explorer; still costly, but no added flights or transfer fees.

Any reason why not to Shompole. Great place for R&R and they do late (10pm) night game drives.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM

From previous posts, I thought steff had a private vehicle throughout, so no issues with transfer fees. However, I think some of these camps can only be booked on a game package basis.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi there,

finally, husband cancelled the three additional days, he has to be back monday at work. I tried everything but no chance... (

Next time, we try Saruni Samburu, Cottars and Laikipia area, not to forget Chulu Hills...

Thanks a lot
Steff

P.S. anything special to think of before leaving???
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot, we finally booked Elephant Bedroom AND SaSaab. I will report after return.