Notices

Shoes, Markets, and Money

Jan 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Shoes, Markets, and Money

Hi! We are departing in a few weeks on our very first safari. Our basic itinerary includes Nairobi, Lake Nakuru, Lake Naivasha, Masai Mara, Arusha, Lake Manyara, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Crater. We are doing two different week-long group trips with a few days on our own as well. After reading lots of posts on this board, I still have just a few questions for the experts!

I was planning on bringing hiking boots, tennis shoes, and flip-flops along but then read a post stressing the importance of sandals. Should I replace the hiking boots with walking sandals? What about tse-tse flies attacking ankles?

We are visiting Kenya and Tanzania and are planning on bringing quite a bit of American cash along, but there seems to be some discrepancy on local currency. Will restaurants, taxis, grocery stores, and markets take USD? What about in Arusha? We will get a bit of local currency regardless, but do we need both Kenyan and Tanzanian shillings to get by?

Lastly, does anyone know approximately what hours the Masai market in Arusha is open? We will be getting into town in the late afternoon but would like to stop by and check it out.

Thanks!
Jan 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destin...rica/kenya.php

good health info here also check Tanzania.

Always stick with my light Gore Tex hikers on safari

Sandals present many health risks.

www.cutteradvanced.com DEET always wise for biting insects.

Happy Journey,
Jan 13th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Unless you're hiking, no need. Besides, you're travelling in their summer and these would be awfully hot... ugh!

Comfy shoes that are well broken in. Teva-type sandals can work, but be prepared for dirty feet at end of day. Flip-flops as slippers or in showers. Grounds are uneven, dirty and accacia thorn needles can cut thru thin soles.

Local currency... most places take USD, but in Nairobi many prefer KSh - small shops, grocery/drinks, entry fees; in Arusha it's much the same with TSh. But no need to withdraw all that much local currency from ATMs; any left over can be used towards tips to guides/staff. Can be difficult to re-exchange to USD on departure and you'll loose in the conversion.

After all these years, maybe because no need to make local purchases, I've never used Tsh and only last few years have exchanged maybe $50-$100 to Ksh and wound up using this for tips.

Any kind of bug can take a liking to ankles, so just apply repellent though nothing wards off Tse-tses... just avoid them.

Search this Thread