Lil Governors or Original Govenors

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Going next August and I've looked at both camps and even though they both look excellent any preferences to either one? Thanks
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM
bwanamitch

Main Governors has a lot of 24-hour guests from the beaches and is a little noisy, so I would recommend the much more quiet Little Governors.

Mitch

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 03:56 PM

I also prefer Little Govs because the tents look out on a swamp area where the elephants hang out every day. You can just sit in front of your tent and they walk up real close. It is best to try for tents 10-17 as these are a bit further out. The balloon takes off just behind the office building! And it's quite cool to cross the Mara river every day in that tiny dinghy.

Main Camp has some tents facing West on the banks of the Mara river but the views are not that great. Several tents face south and south east towards the plains. You can certainly see the plains animals in the distance. They also have two rondavels if you don't fancy a tent! It is bigger and just not as exciting as Little Govs.

Ill Moran has better views of the Mara since the tents are along the high banks. You can certainly hear the hippos and such. The tents are best and the camp is more intimate. Great for couples but IMO singles may feel out of place in this romantic camp.

In high season the special camp is also available but the tents are nothing special. When I visited there were always large groups.

Eben
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Hi Eben,

Out of curiosity, are the 'special camp' and the 'bush camp' the same one? Governors has quite a few camps listed on their website, and I thought they only had Main Camp, LG, and Il Moran.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 04:50 PM
bwanamitch

As far as I understand this, the 'special' camp is Private Governors Camp, used exclusively for group bookings, and Governors Bush Camp is the mobile camp they use for walking trails in adjoining Koiyaki Group Ranch.

Mitch

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

At the Governors camps they say there is electricity in the reception area but not in the tents. Does that mean no hair dryer? Not that I will be styling my hair on safari but dry hair is a nice thing
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
bwanamitch

Usually you can't expect electricity in the tents of a safari camp. There are some luxury camps that offer electricity (often restricted to low-current devices), but not Governors.

Mitch

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Just towel-dry your hair. In August, it's warm enough that it will dry quickly enough on its own.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I liked Little Govs but only visited Main Govs, never stayed there. I always go for the smaller camp. I liked how theswampy area in front of camp produced some good animal viewing, but few or no misquitos. I was there in August. You'll have great stay.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM

<Main Governors has a lot of 24-hour guests from the beaches and is a little noisy>
Huh?
Stayed there twice and never experienced anything like that. Noisy? LOL!

Quiet, wonderful place to stay with great guides. Stayed once in Little Camp. Both are excellent
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
bwanamitch

Mama,

I stayed there twice, too, in August and September. Either you had luck, or I had bad luck. Who knows.

Mitch