Notices

shipping company for moving to South Africa?

Oct 18th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

shipping company for moving to South Africa?

DH and I are building a house in Hoedspruit, South Africa (outside of Kruger National Park), and hope to live there for about the next 4-10 years. Most of our belongings are, at the moment, in Washington DC. Does anyone have any experience with moving companies dealing with moving furniture and other belongings from the U.S. to South Africa? Would appreciate any recommendations that Fodorites might have. Many thanks in advance.
Oct 18th, 2015, 11:41 PM

Howzit lisa,

Congratulations on making the big move. We used Stuttafords to ship a container-full of belongings from Australia to Cape Town (via Durban port), and they were very professional.
Oct 19th, 2015, 12:31 AM

lisa-

If you figure it out, let me know. I've googled a few times and there are services, I just don't know how reliable they might be. Some companies do full or half containers. I understand registering a car is almost impossible, so not recommended. I'm thinking when we move to KZN we'll just sell everything and buy new/used when we get there. It's expensive either way. I want a simpler life and the temptation of bringing too much stuff will make that harder. We won't be coming back to the U.S. until we can no longer get/afford health insurance overseas, so renting out our place and storing some of our stuff here is not really an option. We're hoping that's at least fifteen years.

We considered Marloth Park south of Kruger, but no pets allowed. I need a dog. How did you decide on Hoedspruit?

That's pretty exciting!! I'm jealous - we will probably arrive around the time you're leaving.

Search this Thread