Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Shingwedzi Restcamp Kruger (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/shingwedzi-restcamp-kruger-426652/)

vicki1 Sep 4th, 2008 04:52 AM

Shingwedzi Restcamp Kruger

Hi, We are thinking of staying at Shingwedzi Restcamp next year for 3 days. Maybe in the Guest House. Has anybody stayed there? Does it have lots of different animals? Is it a good place to stay! Also we are staying at Lower Sabi and Satara Restcamp and finish off at Elephant Plains. Does that sound ok!
We love the animals.bye Vicki1

matnikstym Sep 4th, 2008 10:38 AM

I stayed at Shingwedzi last year and it was my favorite of all the restcamps. Lots of elephants! Plenty of loops and side roads to drive on so you don't have to take the same road each time out.
Satara was o.k., a bit dated but the food was good in the restaurant.

vicki1 Sep 6th, 2008 12:22 AM

Hi again,

You really liked Shigwedzi Restcamp. Was that because of the place or the animals. Also I got the impression that you were not so kean on Satara Restcamp.Why was that. Also thank you for reply. Vicki

Celia Sep 8th, 2008 11:47 AM

Vicki, my husband and I stayed at Shingwedzi in 2004. The area is riverine, so there are many large baobab trees, and lots of elephants. We saw lots of game there, including lions on a hunt.

We stayed in a 2-bed cottage. It was perfectly well-furnished with everything you need, but was nothing extraordinary, just what you expect in national park accommodations. In our several trips to Kruger, we have stayed in both nicer and less nice accommodations.

We've also stayed at Lower Sabie, in the tents. That was great! The restaurant has a huge long verandah where you can sit and watch the hippos and other animals. Neat!

We have also stayed in a Guest House in an SA national park. Wow! It was luxurious, and beautifully furnished and decorated in African safari style.

You'll see a lot of game in Kruger. Have a wonderful time!

Celia

Celia Sep 8th, 2008 11:53 AM

Oh, I forgot to say that I've stayed at Satara too. I would agree that the camp accommodations are a bit dated. It's large, but divided into sections so you don't feel like you're in a town or anything. There are benches where you can sit and watch the river. Satara is supposed to be big cat country, but we've never seen leopards there, or cheetahs either.

It's been a few years since I've been to Satara, so maybe it's been updated.

Celia

vicki1 Sep 15th, 2008 04:31 AM

Hi, Thank you Celia for your information on Shingwedzi Restcamp,Lower Sabi and Satara Restcamp.Very glad to here there are lots of animals.Last time we went, we stayed in luxury accommodation. This time we are trying to save our pennies a little bit, but still want to see the animals.As long as the beds are clean and comfy.
Thank you for your good wishes. Vicki

Celia Sep 15th, 2008 12:44 PM

You're welcome, Vicki. You don't have to worry about accommodation in Kruger being clean and comfy; it will be. Not luxurious, but you'll be sleeping in real beds and your unit will be serviced daily. It's not roughing it!

Celia