Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera Equpiment - Airplanes

Have you used the ThinkTank Airport International
Bag for taking you gear to Africa?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM

We use Lowe-Pro Photo Trekker AW (All-Weather) backpacks, which are carry-on legal (I think 19 x 14 x 8" or something similar to that) and hold a 500 f/4 and incidentals ... here's what it looks like loaded with 33 - 36 lbs of gear ...
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/W1472.jpg

http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/W1476.jpg

If the ThinkTank has similar dimensions you should be able to hold similar gear and still be carry-on legal.

Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:23 AM
sniktawk

I have a Think Tank Airport Acceleration this has gone in all overhead lockers (including Air Botswana HS 146). I get 2 Eos ID MkII bodies plus 500 f/4 two other lenses batteries etc. It is of course much too heavy just pretend it is not!
Its best featuure is it does not look big!

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I used the ThinkTank Airport International for my recent trip to Botswana. (I arrived home Aug 9th) Actually, there were 4 of us with those bags and they worked well.

Didn't have any issues with it fitting in overheads. On the Air Bots flight from Joburg to Maun there are two sizes of overheads and we did have to put them in the larger one. No one questioned anything regarding them.

Mine held IDMkIIn, 20d, 500 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, Epson and another portable hardrive, two 1.4x and two 2.0x, 550 flash and better beamer, and a Canon S2IS. I carried everything else in a backpack (other lenses, chargers, batteries etc).

I also used the ThinkTank pouch "Lens Drop In" and kept the TC's in there without the caps on each end. Very quick way to add or remove a converter. What I didn't have but wish I did (they guys all had one) was the Pixel Pocket Rocket. It's for CF card storage but it has a leash on it to clip to your belt or whatever and it has a place for your business card/ID. My CF card holder is very small, solid black and I've thought I have lost it more than once because it 'disappears' in a black bag. The leash and clip would keep it from being lost. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_pr...xlPcktRckt.php
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I agreee the Pixel Pocket Rocket is great, especially best with the red piping! I wish it was Neon Orange so as to see it even more easily.

What monopod do you use?

We are going to Kenya Rwanda and Tanzania on this trip and would like to bring a monopod along instead of a tripod.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Hey Cindy - So the wheels on that bag/case weren't an issue on the planes? I am enamored with the Think Tank products. I am pondering a small belt system for game walks.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I have both Lowepro and Think Tank bags and while I like them both, I am really most impressed with the Think Tank Airport Accelerator. For example, I can keep a Large Pro size body with a 300mm 2.8 + 1.4 teleconverter with the lens hood in shooting position and another body with the 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 lens also in shooting configuration both sitting on middle seat (in the bag) and ready to use at a moments notice. Its actual size is deceiving and it holds much more than one might think. This is due in part to the square shape of the bag with no loss of space as in regular the "back pack" type configuration. Also, the Think Tank Bag itself is the lightest for its size and capacity. I have had no trouble at all dragging this thing onto international flights as carry-on and placing it under the seat in front or in the overhead. Also no problem on any internal Botswana flights (small Sefofane planes). As I recall the Think Tank Airport International was too big but it's easy enough to confirm on Think Tanks web site. For a monopod I would suggest looking at the carbon fibre models. Gitzo makes a nice one but it's really overpriced for a monopod. There is very little design or other practical difference between it (Gitzo) and the Feisol (Chinese) Carbon Fibre monopods. The Gitzo runs over $300 while the Feisol is $70-90, depending upon the model you choose. Regradless which monopod you choose, look at Really Right Stuff's website on monopod suggestions. They suggest a setup using one of their quick release clams on a Manfrotto swivel that is fantastic. Not that expensive either.
Regard-Chuck
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

What have been the carry on limits for flights to Kigali from Nairobi? Especially regarding photo equipment?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Cheweyhead - I didn't take a monopod/tripod to Kenya/Rwanda. I did take a tripod to Botswana and never took it out of my bag.

Also, my checked luggage and carry ons (Kenya/Rwanda) were both very heavy and the weight of the bags was never addressed on any flights. Except - I took a flight from Wilson Airport to the Mara in a smallish plane and was charged a hefty overweight fee just on my checked luggage. My guide was still with me and he got them to waive the fee. I ended up letting them put my camera suitcase with the checked luggage on the plane (I was pretty sick with tick fever and didn't really care what happened to my luggage) but if they had weighed the carry on with the checked bag, I'm sure I would have had to pay.

Hi Sharon - no issues with wheels. I was only on one 'puddle jumper' plane in Bots and it wasn't a problem. Nor with the Air Bots flight. In Kenya I used a different bag and I think there were 4 'puddle jumper' flights and no issues with wheels then either.

I know several people that use the TT belt system and they love it.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Nice-looking bags, but what about carry-on weight? Do American and other carriers not weigh these things as a matter of routine?

Back in the good old days (though it was still just after 9/11), I took about 17 kg (40 lb) of equipment as carry-on on eight successive domestic and international flights (one safari) without question. On all subsequent trips, however, domestic check-in in Australia has weighed our carry-on bags to make sure each doesn't exceed the cabin limit of 7 kg. On one occasion, my wife had to remove stuff from her bag to keep it on the limit. Fortunately, a friend travelling with us had spare capacity. We travel economy.

I now carry my 300/2.8 in a separate lens bag over my shoulder, because a single camera bag with everything in it simply would not make it. Things like monopods, battery chargers, tool kits etc have to go in check-in baggage. I'd love to get one of those admirable ThinkTank backpacks or their Lowepro equivalent (I've always bought Lowepro) but I fear I'd be wasting my money.

John
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM

<b>Nice-looking bags, but what about carry-on weight? Do American and other carriers not weigh these things as a matter of routine?</b>

Hi John,

US airlines have size limits for carry-ons but for the most part no weight limits. I've never had a carryon weighed in the US. I think even British Air, long the most up-tight airline for checking to a 7 kg limit, has gone to &quot;if you can lift it to the overhead it's not too heavy&quot;.

For our trips to Tanzania we've flown KLM from Amsterdam and they have a posted carry-on weight limit, I think it's 10 kg or so. Sometimes they have a scale at the boarding area and they pull out people with bulkly looking bags and weigh them, but the Lowe-Pro bags we use look pretty slim and we've yet to be checked. If we did get weighed we are able to put enough gear into vests we are wearing to get the weight down (and then put the gear back in the bag once past the scales -- what a loophole!).

The one time I was really hassled about carry-ons was in your homeland of Oz ... we had a Cairns - Sydney - LAX flight (Ansett - United) but as usual Ansett had problems (a &quot;small fire&quot; this time ... I wasn't surprised they went out of business) and we had to go to Brisbane, then arrived too late at SYD to catch our flight, so they wanted to put us on an Air New Zealand flight to LAX instead.

We each had a carry-on soft bag with all our clothes (living on a boat on the GB reef for a week fishing, so just T-shirts and shorts) and in one small pack had some light photo gear (I think 2 boxes of film, 17-35 and 70-200 f/2.8's and two light bodies) ... all this was OK for carry-on on both United and Ansett but to my astonishment the Air NZ lady told me their weight limit was 7 kg and we had to check in *everything*, even the camera bag (which was about 8 kg). I was amazed.

We told her we couldn't do this and would have to get a hotel room in Sydney and fly United the next day and she said &quot;Fine with me&quot;. She probably thought we were surfer trash because of our dress ... I mentioned to my wife &quot;I hope we can still get business class on United tomorrow&quot; and the clerk's ears perked up like a fox and she said &quot;Oh, if you're in business class you can carry-on everything&quot;. Sheesh ... last time I flew ANZ.

So anyway after that we always check carefully for airlines with the super-tight policies (Air Chile is another) and avoid them at all costs. This is one reason we haven't gone to Bots (along with a couple other reasons).

Bill
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks Bill...very enlightening reply.

The time I had 40 lb in carry-on, it included my 400/2.8, which as you know, weighs about 7 kg (about 16 lb). At Perth airport, the South African Airways public address system carried frequent loud warnings about the airline's carry-on restrictions. So, thinking I was doomed, I packed the big lens in my check-in but with the precaution of telling the woman at the check-in counter that I was worried about the lens's security. She very brightly said, &quot;Oh, unpack it and take it into the cabin with you. It'll be OK.&quot; From that point on, I had no worries whatsoever.

John
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

I hope you get to Botswana soon.
Two years ago, not realizing we really would not need many changes of clothes, we went to Botswana with two xlarge rolling duffels, too big, too heavy ,plus heavy camera carry ons. I guess we were lucky, no one ever checked or asked to weigh our bags. I think they saw us &quot;little women&quot; moving this stuff around and figured it must not be overweight.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:24 AM

I've used a Tamrac Adventure 8 bag for years - it looks tiny, but I can (just) get the 500, landscape, macro and body in + batteries and flash. It's over the 7kg of course, but I just make sure I wave about like it weighs nothing and no-one asks questions!

Being on the small side myself, it's a nice size to carry when walking too

Only (possible) downside is that it's not rigid, so a bit less rugged protection for your gear then bigger bags. Since I've almost always got the camera round my neck - particularly on bumpy drives - that doesn't bother me so much...

The only airline that ever tried to make me check it was a 'no frills' UK domestic that decided on the day it was taking *no* carry-on luguage at all! I insisted on a receipt and this policy was miraculously revised.