Sharm El Sheikh

Sep 20th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Sharm El Sheikh

Hi, I am travelling to Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt in mid October can anyone provide me with any information on how safe the place is ie can you leave the resort during the day / night, what good things are there to do / see, what is the best currency to use, what did you enjoy, what would you recommend to avoid. Thanks
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Hello Mark,

I am surprised a fellow traveler has not responded and I hope that somebody will.

All I know is that Tony Blair and others go there for the Xmas holidays. I am trying to use my Marriott points and since they have two huge resorts there I am thinking about going. But, I do not know what airport to fly into!.

Will check the BA website.

Susana
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:00 PM

Hi Mark, I too am going to Sharm El Sheikh but not until March. I will be in Egypt for the whole month(Cairo, Nile Cruise, Siwa Oasis and lots more).This forum has provided me with alot of info and helped me so much in planning our trip but I am surpised that nobody seems to have any info to share about Sharm el Sheikh. I am anxiously awaiting responses to your post.
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Hi Mark,
I have been to Sharm about 4 times now. It is very safe to go out both day and night,just use standard rules about flaunting wealth etc.
As usual you will be approached by hawkers trying to sell you just about anything,just tell them you only speak Icelandish or some other off the wall language and they go away!!!
You will probably be staying in Naama Bay as this is where all the International hotels are. Sharm is the old town about 20 mins away and is worth a night time visit for a bit of sea food.
Activity wise, it is very much a beach resort also with some of the best diving in this part of the world. If you don't dive and fancy it Sharm is a great place to learn. There are several companies that run "desert adventures" etc.
Currency either take £UK or $US travellers cheques and then change them into Egyptian Pounds.
Select your taxi and driver with care, they all seem to drive old Peugeot 7 seat estate cars held together with string etc
Try anything you fancy and if you don't like it- don't do it again!!!
One final warning Ramadan starts on about the 15th Oct and service etc can get very slow/non-existent.
Its a great place and you will enjoy it.

Search this Thread