Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Going to Egypt from San Francisco. What airline do you recommend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Egypt in November. Have FF miles on American and other airlines. Does anyone have a good recommendation as to best airline to use to get there that is not Egypt Air?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:28 AM
sandi

Believe British Air flies from London to Cairo. You can use our AAFF miles on American across the pond (for a coach or upgrade) and on BA for a regular ticket (not an upgrade). If you have to purchase the BA segment, you can accrue these miles to your AAFF account.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:22 AM

If you have enough FFM for business class on any airline which has seats which unfold into beds and flies overnight to Europe, take it!

You only need the beds on the SF'co - Europe leg, so if you don't have enough to fly all the way, then use your FFM for SF'co - Europe & use economy for the Europe - Cairo flght.

I just flew Seattle - Amsterdam - Cairo in economy with a 12 hour layover in Amsterdam, leaving Seattle at 1:30 pm on NWA/KLM. This is not a good flight. Nothing wrong with the airlines, it was the timing that was all wrong. I didn't sleep on the flight to Amsterdam & then was a basket case during my layover. That plus the below freezing temperatures made me skip my planned day in Amsterdam. And I didn't get to the hotel in Cairo until 3 am.

BA has an overnight from SFco - Heathrow with a much shorter layover. As much as I ranted about my bags coming home anywhere from 2 to 4 days after I did, I may take BA the next time I fly Cairo-Seattle.

There may be a few more airlines who fly San Francisco - Cairo. Look them up on Orbitz. It will give you a better idea of your options.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM
sandi

Try www.kayak.com

They search all flight, all carriers from your departing city/arrival city. They do not book tickets but direct you to the airline, discounter or other who is offering the fare/routing. If using FF for a portion of the trip, at least you know which airline is going your way.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hello,

www.sidestep.com is also a great site for seeing what airlines fly the route -- it was even able to price Air Botswana, not an easy thing to do.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM

I used FF miles for a trip to Egypt last November, The European flights you can use are Turkish Air, British Air, & Iberia. I flew American to London & then British Air. You cannot use British Air on FF for the transatlantic part of your flight.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM

sorry--neglected to mention the above information is for American FF.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the above. I ended up going SF to Pais r/t on my FF miles. Staying in Paris a few days then on to Cairo by Air France r/t Paris. At least I got ovet the pond in First Class.