Shark Diving

Oct 25th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Shark Diving

I am getting so much contradictory information...

Should we do a shark dive in early November? I am hearing the water is murky so the sightings arent so good.
Oct 25th, 2004, 01:57 PM
sandi

Yes, the water can be murky and you certainly won't see a shark in the distance when under water, but you certainly will "up-close-and-personal" as they seem to come out of nowhere and brush past the cage. Be sure to bring a waterproof disposable camera as you can get pretty decent photos when they're right in front of you. Enjoy. It's an exciting and fun day.

Oct 25th, 2004, 05:18 PM

I don't know where you are considering doing a shark dive, but at Seal Island, some of the sharks migrate away from the island in September, and they are harder to come by out there. We went last year in late September and saw a couple of sharks, but none wanted to hang around the boat, so we never even put the cage in the water.
I would suggest you talk via e-mail with whoever you are planning on diving with to get the best information. We went out with Rob Lawrence (one of the makers of Discovery Channel specials like "Air Jaws"), and you can check out his web site at www.ultimate-animals.com.
My understanding from talking to Rob is that water clarity is not the issue, as it can be cloudy or clear at any time based on waves and currents. Rather, the issue is where the sharks are hanging out.
Good luck with the chark dive! I know I will be going back to Cape Town in June or July some time to try it again!

Search this Thread