Shamwari Game Reserve

Jan 23rd, 2000, 12:11 AM
Alicia

Shamwari Game Reserve

My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa in early April for three weeks. We will be flying into Cape Town and are thinking of an itinerary that includes the Peninsula, the Winelands, the Overberg, the Garden Route and a stay at a game reserve. We are considering Shamwari Game Reserve and would like to know if anyone has any opinions/suggestions/experience regarding this place.
Thanks for your help.
Alicia

Feb 5th, 2000, 10:55 AM
samm

Shamwari is outside Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape and they have a website www.shamwari.com. For the rest of your itinerary consult a website which offers great personally selected accommodation, www.portfoliocollection.com (they also include Shamwari, as well as a variety of other places). Highly recommend a truly authentic Cape Dutch Country House in Swellendam in the Overberg, called Klippe Rivier Country House - they have a great chef and two Irish wolfhounds.
Good luck with your search.

Feb 8th, 2000, 01:26 AM
Cynthia

Hello, My husband and I spent only a week on the same type of itinerary, driving from Capetown to Shamwari Game Reserve and back again! 3 weeks is a better allotment of time. We enjoyed our stay at Shamwari, the rooms and food were good and the tours/animals sufficient. It is a different kind of game park than one might see in the drier areas of Africa but this made it more unique to us. What they are trying to do to bring back the native animals of the area is to be commended. A trip of a life time - we wish we had known it to be so and allowed more time.Driving allowed us to make some minor impromtu diversions and see beautiful landscapes along our way. Enjoy!

Mar 16th, 2000, 02:17 AM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello from Vienna!
I know Shamwari and I spent 1 night there but I think it is a typical tourist game reserve. There are a lot others. Less expensive and more the real Africa. Tala Game Reserve or Game Valley Lodge near Pietermaritzburg.
Addo Elephant Park is very interessting too.
Enjoy SA. It is fantastic!
Best regards
Silvia

Search this Thread