Morocco: Is this a rip-off?

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morocco: Is this a rip-off?

My husband and I are traveling Fes-Marrakech with a driver, spending 2 nights in a luxury camp in the desert and 4 nights in the Atlas Mountains. May I get some input on these prices please:

The charge for each night in the luxury camp in the desert is 4000MAD per couple, per night, or $484.
The charge for the driver/fuel is 2200MAD per day + 200MAD per day for hotel/dinner, or $266/day.

The price for 2 for 6 nights is 30,000MAD, or $3632. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
jgg

Without giving us a link to see how "luxury" the the desert camp is and what kind of accomodations you are getting in the atlas mountains I would definitely have to say "YES" - this does sound like a ripoff.

We did a somewhat similar trip - 6 nights - though ours was OUazarzarte, desert and Fez. Including guide, driver and several meals was almost exactly half that cost. It was almost 7 years ago, but I don't think the cost has doubled in that time. Also, there were four of us, but the calculation was done on a per person basis. Even that, was considered on the higher end of the scale back then but it was a private guide/driver and our time in the desert was just our family of four. We had an amazing trip and it was worth every penny. Again, hard to compare without seeing the places you are staying but does seem very high for Morocco.

We used BlueMenofMorocco.com and as I said had a fabulous trip! Here is a link to my trip report along with pictures:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...frica/morocco/
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback. The luxury camp is at the foot of the dunes and has a private bath. It looks beautiful from the pictures, but is it worth $484/night? Hmm.The Atlas accommodations are all in the $200/night range, including breakfast and dinner for 2.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 01:06 AM

Hi there,

Most luxury camps around Merzouga charge 150 euros ( 1650 Dirhams ) per person per night with half board ( dinner and breakfast). If you have any doubts about the price, why not ask the agency to send you the details of the camp so you can contact them directly and ask for the rates ?
Same goes for the accommodation in the Atlas Mountains. Ask for the details and check yourself. At the end of the day, a good agency will charge you for the service and the transport and will not make its profit margin on accommodation.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Is $260/day for the car, driver and his meals/hotel the going rate?
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 09:48 AM

in my opinion i would not take that Luxury one because what's in there is in other standard camps, you just need to pick a very good one that's all, i would suggest to make it in Riad Nezha and let them take care of it, Ahmed Their Camel Guide is really a very professional to make your stay great in the desert.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 11:40 PM

Hello Lisa,

Perhaps it is a little more than the average, but not excessively so. You could probably find less expensive, but don't expect to pay less than 200 US $ per day for the same.
We're naturally talking about a driver which is also going to be your guide and speaks fluent English, I take it.
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:44 AM

I'm interested to know if you have been yet. Was it worth it?
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:48 AM
BKD

natandmiriam: I'll answer for lisaneworleans (my wife). I think when she posted that we were vacillating between tour companies. I believe we went we another company after that post and the cost was a bit less, but not much. Doesn't matter. The night in the Sahara was worth every penny.
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 02:20 PM

I have recently been quoted the WIDE range of 120E to 220E a day for English guide/driver!
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 08:11 PM

Zinfanatic, the price you've been quoted depends on the service, the type of the car, the driver and guide, so can be on what is included and bear mind that you get what you pay.
Good Luck with your choice.
there is Topics for driver recommendations on Tripadvisor if you check this link to read comments so you can have an idea about the price by sending private Messages to the reviewers on TA: http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchFor...&pid=34633&s=+
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 12:48 PM

Alex, I have checked that link. I have made inquires of about 6 to 7 agencies.Of course the axiom of you get what you pay for is true most of the time. All the quotes are of what seems to be the same service. a 4X4 car with A/C and English speaking guide/driver . That accounts for fuel and his accommodations. I have sent a few private messages also, but so far have not received any responses.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM

It is too expensive...& my advice is don't use the luxury camp for a real desert experience..
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Depends on what you want... we did 4 days/3 nights from Fez to the desert (including camel ride, night in the desert, etc), to Todra, to Marrakech, with a driver, guide, private car, all lodging and all but two lunches. It was under $1000 for two people.

If you're willing to pay for 'luxury' then the price you were quoted seems reasonable... but you do have other options.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 06:05 AM

Astein12, I do not think I was quoted a luxurious trip. In fact I was trying to get a bid on a two week trip including Chef, few and one week ion the south with a small local company. The driving part of the trip is what seemed expensive. Could you please tell me what company you used for they trip?
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Should read Fes not few- ending in Marraekch.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 06:44 AM

We used Adventures in Morocco (now called Morocco Countryside Tours) (contact Said at [email protected] or see http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ne_Region.html).

It was 700 euro for two people. Details are below. I also have a quick trip report here: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...rip-report.cfm

Trip B: another option for 4 days trip, during this trip you will travel more deep in the desert and you will visit a place where you will meet the local people and experience the real rural Morocco, and visit a very small Village in the middel of the Desert and experince drive off-road.

Day 1: Fes - Midelt - Erfoud - Merzouga - Erg Chebbi.camel ride and night in a traditional berber tent..

the journey begins as we pick you up at youraccommodations around 8:00 a.m. Our passage to the desert will be through the scenic slopes of the Atlas Mountain Range.

First, we experience the beauty of the cedar forests in the Middle Atlas, and enter the world of the Berber people as we pass many of the mountain villages.We pass by Ifrane, a charming ski resort and Azrou, an important handicraft center specializing in cedar woodwork.

In Midelt, we stop for lunch and enjoy the unique backdrop of this town that is nestled in between the middle and high Atlas mountains.

We continue our drive towards the desert via Erfoud, towards the ultimate; a camel trek into the beautiful Erg Chebbi dunes. As the sun begins to set over the horizon, we ride our camels through the desert towards the camp where you will spend a magical evening in a Bivouac Camp. As you settle into the camp and relax under a million stars, we prepare a fresh and delicious Berber dinner. After dinner, you can climb to the top of the dunes, gaze up at the stars and even go sand boarding. The desert is pure freedom. In the evening you can choose to sleep in a traditional Nomad camel hair tent or outside under the stars...

In the morning, you will have the opportunity to take some amazing pictures as the sun rises over the dunes. It's a unique and unforgettable event.

Our camels await you for the trek back to our hotel, where you will enjoy a fresh shower and an open air breakfast at the edge of the desert overlooking the dunes.

Day 2: Merzouga - Khamlia - Taouz - Masboa Village.

after enjoying a fresh shower and an open air breakfast at the hotel overlooking the dunes, We then depart for Masboa Msboa village, our first visit for the day will be in Khamlia village of the dark-skinned people ( named Khamlia ) and enjoy the original music and folk songs of the Gnawas, then drive to a small village in the middle of desert called Masboa. A place where you will sure meet the local people and have a cup of tea with berber family and experience the real rural Morocco and visit a very small oasis then drive to a guest house where will be our second night. dinner and breakfast at the guest house.

Day 3: Msboa village - Alnif - Todra Gorge. night inhttp://www.panoramatodra.com/

After breakfast in the guest house, we will drive off-road in the beautiful black desert crossing the berber oasises of palm trees we stop for lunch and head to Todra Gorges, a magnificent canyon in the Atlas Mountains.

There we will have a walk through the canyon floor with the spectacular cliffs surrounding us on either side, It's a perfect destination overlooking the fertile valley below and the panorama of the mountains beyond. Dinner and overnight in the hotel http://www.panoramatodra.com/

Day 4: Todra Gorges - Roses Valley - Ouarzazat - Ait BenHaddou - High Atlas Mountain - Marrakech.

After breakfast departure for Marrakech. There are still many sites and things to explore on your final day before arriving in Marrakech.

We will follow the Dades Valley through El Kelaa Magona, the Valley of the Roses and the road of a thousand Kasbahs. We visit Ouarzazate and stop for lunch in the ancient desert village of Ait Benhadou. It is now a protected UNESCO site and famous as the nest of many films like the Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia and many more. You can climb to the top Ksar where you will be rewarded with a breathtaking view.

We will drive via Tichka Pass on our way back to Marrakech, where you will see many Berber villages along this route. Your journey with us will end at your desired location, either at a Riad, Hotel or airport.