Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Seychelles must-sees (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/seychelles-must-sees-373038/)

babette Nov 1st, 2003 03:20 AM

Seychelles must-sees

I'm so excited for our trip to Seychelles in two weeks! We are staying at the Banyan Tree on Mahe and have decided to make day trips to La Digue and Praslin. I understand we can take a small seaplane (15 min.) to Praslin and then a boat to La Digue (15 min.), according to sources at our hotel.

Should we try to do Praslin and La Digue in the same day or make two separate trips? What do we need to see on each island? And, is there anywhere else we must go?

And, what about restaurant and shopping recommendations on Mahe, Praslin or La Digue?

Thanks.

babette Nov 4th, 2003 01:08 AM

Hey, where is everybody? On vacation??

sandi Nov 4th, 2003 04:34 PM

Hi Babette -

I've been out of town a few days.

OK, from Mahe to Praslin and La Digue in one day - it can be done, but if I recall, you'll have to be on an early planefrom Mahe to Praslin and I don't know how that connects with ferry to La Digue. And the ferry isn't anywhere near the airport, though not all that far (it is a small island)- should do transfer by taxi. So it comes down to coordinating schedules - flights/ferry in both directions.

I wouldn't do it in 2-days as you have the same situation - flight/ferry schedules in one day or two. The air from Mahe to Praslin is 15-min, but the ferry is at least 30-min, though believe it's longer, but not more than 1-hr. It's not 15-min on ferry.

But by doing this you don't get to spend time on Praslin in order to connect with ferry. Another reason I had originally mentioned spending some time on Praslin to do day trips from there to out islands and then balance of time on Mahe. The flights aren't cheap and to fly twice to Praslin to spend time on Praslin - you have to decide.

You can probably arrange though your hotel with one of the tour operators on the island (there were 2 major companies when we were there) and they can do your transfers from hotel to airport, then airport to ferry and back. Once at La Digue, you can rent bicycles to ride around the island - there are no motored vehicles except a few from the tour operators - otherwise by oxcart - interesting!

The tour operator might have ideas how to get both in and prices.

As to shopping, there is the main town on Mahe which is fun to spend a morning - again, small and easy to navigate. Prices are high on the islands for just about everything and there isn't much negotiating. There are small items to buy and jewelry, but prices were kind of high. It's really very personal - but you'll see once you're there.

Hey, when are you out of here? And how long will you be there - just to know when to hear your stories of the trip.

babette Nov 5th, 2003 12:05 AM

Dear Sandi,
I wondered where you were! Thanks for your great input. I knew I could count on you. We leave on the 14th and return on the 24th. I can't wait!!

Wildflower Nov 5th, 2003 12:12 AM

Babette, my husband and I visited the Seychelles a number of times, last time this June. If you are interested in my input send me e-mail to [email protected] I am not a travel agent so I won't be able to help you with any arrangements but maybe you will find my suggestion useful.