Seychelles in December?

Apr 20th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Seychelles in December?

Hello All,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for mid to late December and were seriously considering the Seychelles. However, I've read quite varied information on different web sites regarding December weather. Some say that although it's a bit more humid at this time, the weather is generally good. But another web site said that this time of year is particularly rainy. We'd be fine with a few showers here and there, but of course we don't want to go somewhere if it's going to rain a lot. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks, I appreciate it!
Apr 20th, 2005, 12:22 PM
sandi

I don't believe anyone can guarantee weather anywhere. We've been in SEZ begining of December and had 3/4 of one day with rain (then a bright sunny and humid late afternoon), and 1/2 a morning the next day with rain. That was it. Sunny, hot and humid the rest of the time.

There was a recent post from someone returning from East Africa - beginning of April which is the "long rains" and they had perfect weather.

So who knows what will be in December in the SEZ. But the islands are so lovely, even overcast or some showers rarely puts a damper on activities. If it's not lightening (which it never did when we had rain)... just put on your yellow slicker, kick off your shoes and take a walk on the beach... so romantic!

The tour operators who book daily activities don't even cancel them if there is rain... everything goes on as if the sun were shining bright. Generally, I would say that the weather is fine.

Apr 26th, 2005, 01:11 PM

We were on Praslin in late November. It rained almost every day we were there, but not all the time. Most of the days would be sunny and warm and then all of a sudden a huge, black storm cloud appeared and big raindrops would start falling. After about 10 minutes of this major cloud burst, it would pass and would be hot, humid and sunny again. However, it did do this off and on all day.

It was actually quite spectacular. I have never seen storms like that before. In addition, all of the rain creates a lush and beautiful surrounding. We went to Valle de Mai one day when it was especially stormy. The huge palm leaves protected us from the rain on the trails and we even saw a black parrot who joined us under the leaves for protection!

If you are worried about interrupting your suntan, don't be. I still managed to get a pretty good burn My only suggestion would be to plan an "escape route" to a covered area when you are on the beach (or take an umbrella and wait it out). They pass quickly but are fairly frequent. You also get used to the warning signs... if you see a black cloud coming your way, run for cover (and I mean run!). It will start raining any minute ;-)
Apr 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
sandi

Further to "getting a tan" - though we didn't have all that much rain on our visit to the Seychelles, we were busy most days. In the end, I only have 1-day for "sunbathing." And let me say - it was the easiest, most perfect day I've every gotten... and in all of about 6-hours. It was like a paintbrush ran down my entire body - head to toe - one beautiful shade of brown and ever everywhere (even back of knees, under arms... you name it).

The sun is strong, so have your sunscreen, especially if you tend to burn. I don't, thankfully... and cheated in a sense as I had a pretan before leaving the States.

Search this Thread