Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Seychelles Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/seychelles-honeymoon-586292/)

samuel Jan 29th, 2006 02:12 PM

Seychelles Honeymoon

Me and mi fiancee are going to seychelles on late june. weve already booked in the banyan tree, but ive heard the water can be kind of rough. should we pick another island or hotel?
thanks!

Dr_Andrea Jan 29th, 2006 07:56 PM

You can't swim in the water at Banyan. But this is common for the Seychelles. When my husband and I considered it for our honeymoon, we ultimately decided against going for this reason. Why should I spend all of this money and not be able to swim in the water? It seemed crazy to me. We ended up going to Mauritius instead.

samuel Jan 30th, 2006 05:00 AM

But mauritius is colder this time of year, so you cant swim in the water either, right?.

Dr_Andrea Jan 30th, 2006 05:51 AM

I went to Mauritius in September/October and swam in the water. But I don't know what the water is like in June.

Pat2003 Jan 30th, 2006 10:14 AM

We were in Mauritius June 21-29 and swam, snorkeled, played in the water every day almost all day long. It never got cold but two evenings it was a little windy. We never wore long sleeves or any type of heavy clothes. Is that warm or cold? If you like 100 degrees humid temperatures then Mauritius will be too cold for you

samuel Jan 30th, 2006 10:28 AM

what is the temprature in mauritius for this time of year?
also, is the oberoi a much better destination than the banyan tree in seychelles?
Im coming from 4 days in a safari and then deprating to thailand, I can go to either seychelles or mauritius, just want to know which would be a better honeymoon destination in late june?
tks

Pat2003 Jan 30th, 2006 10:38 AM

Samuel, I really don't want to make this decision for you. If I had to chose between Oberoi and the Banyan Tree I would definitely chose Mauritius. If I had to chose between Oberoi and Fregete Island in the Seychelles I would go for Fregate. We love the Seychelles and visited many times but coral is much better in Mauritius id that is important to you and if you are planning on snorekeling or diving. I don't remember temperatures in Mauritius but it had to be no less than 85 degrees during a day. Can you check on www.weather.com?

aby Jan 30th, 2006 10:46 AM

Swimming - this is what honeymoon is all about ????

Seychelles is a paradise that has got some other (non-swimmimg) departments.

If you love nature, and would like to experience together some unparalleled beauty - e.g. La Digue island's granitic-bouldered beach, one of the most beautiful beaches on earth - just breath together the scenary - who needs to swim ?
or virtually putting your nose near the beak of an all-white Fairy Tern sitting on her egg on a bare branch - u feel like in garden of Eden. Isn't the tour of the garden of Eden the one u wanna do with your spouse ??
Can u swim in the garden of Eden (according to the bible there r 4 rivers but they don't mention a beach ...

Sorry... Setchelles gets me into a mood ...

samuel Jan 30th, 2006 10:55 AM

thanks pat and abby,

im actually not a great fan a snorkling,
I know both places are exceptionaly beautiful, but the weather plays a major factor (i think)

aby, thanks for the tips,
is it easy to move around the islands, la digue, curieuse island- if im staying at the banyan?

Pat2003 Jan 30th, 2006 11:06 AM

Samuel, it is not easy to get to all the islands you mentioned from Banyan Tree. To get to Praslin you need to go first to Mahe and fly from there. To get to La Digue you need to get to Mahe, take a flight to Praslin, take a taxi to ferry and and then the ferry to La Digue. As to Curieuse island, you need to get to Praslin first, then take a taxi to find an operator who will take you by boat. I would say that from Banyan Tree to visit La Digue and Curieuse Island won't be any fun unless you wouldn't mind being in transfer most of your day. Ferry to La Digue doesnt operate every hour.
The best place for visiting all place you are interested in would be staying on Praslin. Did you consider staying in Lemuria?

samuel Jan 30th, 2006 11:22 AM

I did, but the reviews aren't as good as the banyan, and the rooms dont look as good also.
It looks fine, but for the same price the banyan looks much better, but maybe I should do 2 nights at lemuria and 3 at banyan
think is a good idea or to much hassle?

Pat2003 Jan 30th, 2006 11:33 AM

I think it is a great idea. Visiting La Digue and Curieuse from Praslin is going to be much easier and more fun. Lemuria is beautiful but the best restaurant on Praslin is in the airport. I know it is hard to believe. If you need any more ideas about your visit to Praslin, La Digue, Curieuse, Cousin or any other place in or from Praslin let me know. Lemuria has gorgeous beaches and you will be able to swim in a calm water in the end of June. If you want a local operator to take you to Curieuse from Praslin I can share my personal preferences with you. We became good friends with Kevin after few trips. I would have to check my file and find his phone number.

samuel Jan 30th, 2006 11:44 AM

thanks pat!
i really appriciate all the help
please let me know his number and ill go ahead and make a reservation in lemuria!

sandi Jan 30th, 2006 12:27 PM

Unless you can afford the luxury, privacy and price of Fregate or North Islands, it's best to divide the time between Praslin and Mahe.

There is easy access with day-trips on Praslin to Curiouse and Cousin, and the ferry to LaDigue for a day. The Valle de Mai is a great half-day visit. There are other tours as well, and if working through a good tour operator they can advise you of these. Otherwsie, as soon as you arrive at your hotel on Praslin, they'll have rep there to advise what's available. It's a good idea to prebook these. Space is often limited for some tours.

Mahe on the other hand, also has half and full-day tours, but it's nice to just rent a car and tour the island on your own, stopping at remote beaches with not another soul around.

Can't tell you about the water - I do't do water, except to dip a toe... it was like a bathtub; the beaches were wonderful throughout. The temp was about 90-95 degrees; the humidity the same. But w/ air conditioning it was easy enough to sleep and during the day it was surprisingly bearable.

When we visited for 7-days - spent 5-days on Praslin and 2-days on Mahe. So you can definitely split your time between the two islands.

Pat2003 Jan 30th, 2006 12:45 PM

Samuel, there is really no need to book these trips with an organized group. It is so easy to do it on your own. I will get back to you with Kevin's phone number

Dr_Andrea Jan 30th, 2006 01:01 PM

We went back and forth about Seychelles and Mauritius. The TA really felt we were better off with mauritius because there is more to do and the food is better. Seychelles definitely has better beaches. But Mauritius has better culture and is a shorter flight. That is why we picked it coupled with the lack of swimming in Seychelles because of the rough water.

samuel Jan 30th, 2006 01:12 PM

I dont know if there are more things to do in mauritius. As ive heard, there are more island to visit, also the wildlife seems better at seychelles.
I think the only better thing about mauritius is the hotel.

Dr_Andrea Jan 30th, 2006 01:14 PM

Obviously, its all subjective. You have to select the place that you think YOU will prefer. I just gave you my reasoning.

samuel Jan 31st, 2006 07:45 AM

pat,
you can send me an email with the info if you prefer, i will be travelling for some days, so i dont think ill be able to chek the posts
tks

aby Jan 31st, 2006 07:58 AM

Dr. Andrea
Seychelles is not just beaches ...
It is NATURE - Forests & endemic birds
etc' ...