Seychelles and/or Mauritius

Aug 9th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Seychelles and/or Mauritius

OK, while I thought I'd be able to avoid Africa this year, after having been on safari for five years, my recent trip to Europe (Romania, Bulgaria, Stockholm and Oslo), hasn't satisfied my travel hunger, and I'm thinking of a trip to Africa this November, but since I will be taking my girlfriend, I would like to add an extension to either one or both of the Seychelles and Mauritius.

My preference would be to spend 2 to 3 days in both places and I'd welcome suggestions, particularly lodging. I am just now starting my research but I would welcome any leads.

Thanks, and I'll make a separate post re November safaris.

Thanks, Michael
Aug 9th, 2004, 10:59 AM
sandi

Two or three days combining both the Mauritius and the Seychelles won't do these island/island groups true justice. Besides you'd have to be on top of flight schedules to get both in a week, and do you really want to be trying to catch planes when you should be relaxing?

Mauritius is one island and while I haven't been, some recent posts indicate that the Oberoi is outstanding and expensive.

On the other hand, the Seychelles are a group of islands and most people choose to spend about a week and break up their time by spending 4-5 days on Praslin from where you can do a day trip to LaDigue (by ferry) and other small nearby islands on other day trips - these done by a 25' cruiser. The remaining 2-3 days can be spent on Mahe, the main island. Transfer between these two islands by small 19-seaters - flying time 15-minutes.

The newest hotels - a Banyan Tree on Mahe and Lemuria on Praslin are what many are choosing, but they are expensive and might suck you in for "all-inclusive" meals - breakfast and dinner; though there are more options for meals in SEZ, especially dinners - other hotels, restaurants around the island, etc.

And for even more expensive, you can choose North Island, or Fregate Island, both single resort islands. Big big bucks for both, but lovely, but again "all inclusive" as you have no choice with these.

Personally, I believe you have more options in the Seychelles and more places that are small, remote, more romantic. A must, regardless, is that any accommodations have air conditioning - it's hot and humid and November might bring thunderstorms. In our 1-week, we had 1-day of constant rain, and a few brief showers once of twice the remainder of our time here.

I gave two websites in your November safari post. Check these for ideas of accommodations. And if you prefer to work with in-country operators, try contacting Masons Travel or Seychelles Travel Services - both are very good.

Aug 9th, 2004, 12:11 PM

What Sandi said. Also good for Seychelles:

www.sey.net

Search this Thread