Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Seychelles add on to South Africa? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/seychelles-add-on-to-south-africa-985623/)

barefootbeach Jul 18th, 2013 05:29 PM

Seychelles add on to South Africa?

Hi, just started the planning process and plan to visit Capetown and do a safari or two in Kruger or Botswana April 2014. Previously, have visited safari camps(6) in Kenya and Tanzania and spent a week on Zanzibar. I've always wanted to see the Seychelles and plan to end our trip there...been checking out the accommodations on Mahe, Praslin and Le Digue....but nothing is clicking for me. I don't want to spend "luxury huge resort" rates ....can anyone suggest a charming, reasonable place to stay....and which island(s) should we go to? I'm only considering about a 5-7 night stay there. Much appreciate some help from people who've been there. Thanks!

barefootbeach Jul 20th, 2013 08:07 PM

Any ideas?

sandi Jul 21st, 2013 09:13 AM

Check these sites for specifics about the SEZ, where, how much, etc.

www.masonstravel.com/
www.newadventures.com/sey_land.html

The SEZ tourism site: www.seychelles.travel/en/home/index.php

If these don't satisfy with helpful info, then do a Google search... lots of info out there.

barefootbeach Jul 23rd, 2013 11:03 AM

Thanks sand,
I've just started looking at the flight info, and unless there are charter flights, we may have to scrap this idea. the best flight appears to be to fly from Joburg to Nairobi ...overnight...and continue on the next morning on Kenya Airways. Too much trouble!

BBTGOG Jul 25th, 2013 11:09 AM

Barefoot beach,

I've visited the Seychelles several times. My favorite island is La Digue. While there, I stay at the Fleur de Lys Self-Catering Bungalows. If you decide to go there, you have to visit Anse Source d' Argent. WOW!

sandi Jul 26th, 2013 04:57 PM

Haven't checked schedules from South Africa (Johannesburg/JNB) in years, but thought there was a non-stop flight, though not a daily one. You might have to check specific day of week if they still have a non-stop. If not and have to route thru NBO and even the departure from here is not daily, but does depart 9am... gotta be in NBO the night prior.

For sure you don't want charter flights as that will be way way too expensive.

As the saying, 'sometimes you just can't get there from here' and SEZ is 1,000/miles from anywhere.

barefootbeach Jul 29th, 2013 03:35 PM

BBTGOG...if I can get there, I'll be sure to visit Anse Source d'Argent!

sandi, thanks, I'll contact SA directly and see if there's a flight on a specific day.

Otherwise, I just started to look into Mauritious....think it's doable from JNB.

Patty Jul 30th, 2013 07:45 AM

Air Seychelles has flights JNB-SEZ and return on Sun/Tue/Thu.

barefootbeach Jul 30th, 2013 02:40 PM

Thanks Patty!