Your favorites,lodging,eating & nightlife

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:12 PM
James

Your favorites,lodging,eating & nightlife

I will be in both Durban and Capetown for a few weeks in early June participating in a Habitat For Humanity Build. I would appreciate any recomendations you might have on food, lodging & entertainment in both cities. When I travel I try to stay at the best, eat at the unique and find those special nightlife locations. Thanks!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:29 AM
tracy

For Durban: my experience has been that the best (and also conveniently central) hotel is the Durban Hilton. Make sure you get to the Jaipur Palace restaurant for the most delicious curries I have tasted on 4 continents! Good variety and something for all tastes. In Cape Town you have a wide range of lodgings - my favourite is the V&A Waterfront, it has something special and you cannot beat the location. For restaurants you will be spoilt in Cape Town - check some recent postings for some lovely suggestions, make sure you make it to Savoy Cabbage! For the nightlife just head to Long Street - try to take a local with you as a guide. And make sure that you get out onto the wine route.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Renea

I recommend two restaurants that are in the Clifton beach area, right outside of Cape Town:<BR>1)Vilamoura - Portuguese style restaurant has the best food in town<BR>2)Blues - trendy restaurant. very good food and great nightlife location<BR><BR>Regarding lodging, my favorite is the clifton house at www.cliftonhouse.co.za. If you want to stay at the best, this one is it! We ate breakfast every morning overlooking the Clifton Beaches. The quality is wonderful, and the prices are affordable.<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:37 PM
renea

A couple more restaurants to consider include the lunch on the University campus above the Rhodes memorial. It's a beautiful view of the city and the food was very good.<BR><BR>In the wine country, have dinner at La Colombe located at Uitsig Farm, Spaanschemat River Rd., Constantia. It's a five star restaurant with wonderful food and a very romantic atmosphere. Plan to spend a few dollars, but it was a highlight of our trip.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:04 PM
pam

James,<BR><BR>I posted these recommendations on an earlier post:<BR><BR>Restaurants in Cape Town:<BR><BR>DO NOT go to Vilamoura in Camp Bay. Everyone recommended it when we arrived in Cape Town. It was the only meal that we did not enjoy in SA. (It was also the most expensive!) Our red wine was HOT, our fish overcooked, and my oysters….it was awful.<BR><BR>DO try the following if possible:<BR><BR>Constantia Uitsig-In the Constantia wine lands<BR>Buitenverwachting- Also in the Constantia wine lands. (Great for a lunch venue)<BR>Panama Jacks- A local eatery highly recommended by all of our drivers.<BR><BR>We also arranged a private dinner, mentioned above, through the Cape Grace. We really were not certain what to expect, but it turned out to be a wonderful treat! We arrived at a private home overlooking Camps Bay and the Twelve Apostles in the background at sunset. 10 additional party guests arrived, all local South Africans. We shared drinks, a wonderful 12 course meal, and intriguing conversations. The dinner is only available through the Cape Grace, and I highly recommend it.