Search

Cape Grace - Just Back

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Mary

Cape Grace - Just Back

Fellow Travelers,<BR>Stayed 4 nights at Cape Grace and had a great stay! The location was perfect, close enough to walk to the waterfront shops & restaurants yet not in the thick of touristy crowds!<BR>Service was supurb and their bar & restaurant were great. Glad to answer questions.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Rajiv

Hi Mary<BR>I heard they have some construction going on around the Cape Grace hotel- My wife and I are visiting in Early Dec any thoughts Plus do you recommend any particular sides the view is better on?<BR>Cheers

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Mary

Yes there was some construction but it really did not bother us or obstruct our views at all. I really didn't ever think about it until you mentioned it as it was never an issue. <BR><BR>We overlooked the marina which was a very nice view as we could also see table mountain and lion's head. The other side would look out over the marina on the other side so I don't think that there is a bad view. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:19 AM
evelyntrav

We stayed at the Victoria and Albert Hotel on the waterfront, same area as the Cape Grace, and looked around the CG. We definite preferred the V&A because it is an older more historical hotel rather than a huge modern facility. The service was very personal, the breakfasts were fine, and definitely less expensive.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Rajiv

Thanks all - appreciate your advice

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Jane

Did you have any safety concerns in this area of city ? Were you able to wander around wterfront area restaurants etc in without hassle ?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Mary,<BR><BR><BR>Thanks for your report about the Cape Grace. I do tours for the Cape Grace Hotel and I concur with you by feeling that it certainly is one of the finest hotels in Cape Town. IMHO the levels of efficiency and service are unbeatable in the city.<BR><BR>Rajiv as Mary has already reported the construction industry surrounding the hotel will NOT even be seen or heard by you and you need not have to worry about this one iota.<BR><BR>Rajiv, if I had to choose a view I would choose the mountain side view as it is much more scenic than the harbour view. If however you like to see much activity as opposed to scenery I would choose a harbour view over the mountain view.<BR><BR>Jane as far as your safety concerns in the Waterfront are concerned I dont think you will find a safer place to want to be relevat to anywhere that you have ever travelled. This applies throughout the whole complex at all times of the day. The Waterfront development has a close to 100% clean record of any crime for the past 2 years because of appropriate measures taken by the V&A itself in terms of combating crime. As far as crime in the city of Cape Town itself is concerned may I refer you to a mail response that I have already made in a mail to the query "Weather in Cape Town in October" so as to see my thoughts on this issue.<BR><BR>Hope this all helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Mary

I never had a concern for safety at the waterfront. Day or night. <BR><BR>The hotel will tell you if you are going to a restaurant in an area that you should not walk to at night. It was usually in the city area - they always transported us there in fine style!<BR><BR>I found the Cape Grace to be a little quieter than the V&A hotel because you were not in the thick of the tourist area but rather right outside of it. It's a personal preference but it felt a little more exclusive. Nothing wrong with the other like I said - just a matter of taste! <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:49 AM
x

Cape Grace and V&A are only 100 yds apart - what affects ones affetcs the other. The harbor area is very safe! Cape Grace is the better hotel, but both are very nice. The restaurant in Cape Grace is the best on the waterfront.