for janischa28

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for janischa28

Hi janischa,

About your comment that "i've read some negative reviews on Ikoma Bush Camp."

My question was buried at the end of a thread so I'm sure you missed it. Here it is again:

My son and I will be spending a couple of nights at Ikoma Camp in late June, so I'd like to read the negative reviews of the camp that you've come across. Where can I find those?

Thanks,

Jack
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Jack,
Sorry, I hope you don't mind my adding this:

Janischa, you also mentioned somewhere that you have finalized your itinerary and are going with Sunny Safaris. Would you mind posting the whole itinerary? I think you had said something at first about doing the first part "on yor own" (?) or something.

Anyway, I'm glad you've gotten all the deatils hammered out.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Leely, no problem, I'd like to see it, too.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Eben was the one who posted some negative comments about Ikoma after his visit last May - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34628643

In this thread he mentions that the camp has new owners, so perhaps they're working on improvements? http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34645281

Speaking of itineraries, have you posted yours somewhere, Jack?

janischa,
Put me down as very interested in your itinerary too, both the on your own part and the one with Sunny.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Ooops, sorry for the extra-horrible typos.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patty,

I posted mine a couple of months ago:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34628643

I had also read Eben's comments, but want to also read the reviews that janischa is referring to. J

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Jack,
That link takes me back to Eben's thread.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I get all befuddled and bamboozled when it comes to copying, pasting, etc on a computer! This ought to be the correct one:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34705968
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Thanks, Jack. I even posted in that thread and somehow missed it.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Well, I must be crazy, Jack, 'cause that thread just takes me to your photos, which by the way I missed the first time around and just LOVE them. The flamingo shot is particularly fantastic.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Leely,
You have to scroll down to the 14th post or so. Took me a while to find it too.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Thanks, Patty. Got it: Gibbs Farm, Ikoma, Olakira. Sounds wonderful.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

It's the one at 11-12-05 11:03 a.m.

Leely, thanks for the comments about the photos. The flamingo photo is at Lake Nakuru and is one of our favorites, too, in fact, it's now in our living room. J

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that the first night we're staying at Kigongoni Lodge in Arusha, then it's on to Gibbs Farm, and then the camps. J
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:19 AM

hi, I'm sorry for my late reply. I haven't continuously followed up and new topics have come so fast, quickly driving older topics quite far to the back.
First, concerning Ikoma Bush Camp. Well, I can't recall what I said exactly, in which context (and I tried searching for the previous thread, but can't find it). I think I had read the negative comment in the same review Eben mentions, but I'm not sure (I've been reading and searching so much). But, as it turns out now, the tour Sunny Safaris has proposed holds 2 nights at Ikoma Bush Camp. I've asked them to change it, but they suggested I stick to it for it's good location. And so I reasoned, even if it would happen that I would actually less enjoy this place (and again, the place may actually be quite good; who knows ?), it's only 2 nights, and the game there will be most important anyway. from this camp we'll be able to go for West or North gamedrives, depending on where the wildebeest are.

Second, my itinary... we'll be going from 10th june to 30th june, but just to say, we've asked to stay 2 nights in most places as we want to be able to do things slow and relaxed. also, we are spending a lot of time in the serengeti, doing multiple parts, but we really don't want to miss the migration... (which i know you are never certain of !!)

* arrival nairobi; stay at the New Stanley (bus stop just opposite the hotel, so to minimise walking around there)
* public bus to Arusha; stay at Karama Lodge; relax and get used to the weather
* village walk or walk to the waterfall; stay at Karama Lodge
* with Sunni Safaris start of our private 'safari'; drive to Ngorongoro Crater; afternoon game drive; stay at Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
* Full day (?) in the Crater; stay at Nogorongoro Wildlife Lodge
* Drive to South Serengeti; game drive; stay at Ndutu Safari Lodge
* Game drive Serengeti; stay Ndutu
* Go to north west Serengeti; stay at Ikoma Bush Camp
* game drive West Serengeti; stay at Ikoma Bush Camp
* go to central Serengeti; stay at Seronera Wildlife Lodge
* game drive C Serengeti; stay at Seronera Wildlife Lodge
* drive to Tarangire; stay at Tarangire Safari Lodge
* game drive Tarangire; stay at Tarangire Safari Lodge
* early morning game drive Tarangire; drop-off at Mto Wa Mbu
* again on our own; we'll probably stay at Migunga Forest Camp; day to relax
* visit Lake Manyara; stay at Migunga
* go to Moshi; stay at ?? Protea aishi ???
* walk/horse riding slop Mt Kili; stay at Protea ??
* back to Arusha; stay at Karama Lodge, relax
* cultural tourism programm; stay at Karama Lodge
*leave for Nairobi, the New Stanley, leave for Brussels

we'll be going with Sunny Safaris, at a cost of 2400 USD for 10 nights. The part which we'll be doing ourselves (before and after) should cost around 1000 USD to 1500 USD a person.

what you guys think ?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:40 AM

http://www.wildgooses.com/gallery/Serengeti

here are some pictures of ikoma bush camp i found
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi janischa,

Thanks for the pics of Ikoma Bush Camp. One reason we're staying there is that you can do night game drives since it's just outside the boundaries of the Serengeti. We missed doing any night game drives last summer when we were in Kenya and Tanzania and were determined that on this next trip that we would do some. We're also staying at Olakira Camp which is new and supposed to be real nice, but being inside the Serengeti you cannot do night game drives there.

When will you be at Ikoma? We'll be there I believe on June 25-26.

Jack
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:32 AM

hi jack, we'll be staying 17/06/2006 and 18/06/2006 in Ikoma. I'm really looking so much forward to going.. only, I'm afraid, that even after all the trouble we're doing (staying at 3 places in the Serengeti), we'll still miss the migration. which tour operator are you going with ?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

You never know for sure about the migration, but at Ikoma and Seronera I think you'll have a good chance of seeing it. That's also a top priority of ours (along with night game drives) and I think we'll have a good chance at Ikoma and Olakira. Our outfitter is Green Footprint Adventures. I've read good things about Sunny, so I'm sure you're in good hands and will have a great safari.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:16 AM

which other places will you be staying at ? what's your itinary going to be ? Green footprints rings a positive bell with me, so must have read somewhere good about them, I just thought they were more expensive... ? yip, no doubt we'll have great safari can't think of anything else... June still seems so far away

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -