Tanzania Visa and Cost

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania Visa and Cost

Since this topic hasn't been brought up for over 1 1/2 years, I will ask what the current cost to get a Tanzania Visa is before leaving the US. We will be traveling with OAT and they strongly recommend getting it before and going through their 3rd party Visa getting company. If one does it on own, seems like the cost is $100 and one must mail passport , photos, and application to Embassy in Washington DC. Going through the 3rd party, however, seems like the cost is $140 + 25 mailing fees. So, looks like 3rd part fee is $40. Seems to me that i can do this on my own for the $100 and use Fed Ex or similar for much less than $25. I know that in prior posts most people seemed to think it better to get Visa upon landing at airport , but we will be with a group and to have to make people in group wait on those getting it there doesn't seem right. Also, don't think I would worry about sending passport to Tanzanian Embassy in Washington. They do it all the time , I'm sure.

Thoughts/Opinions appreciated !
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 04:48 AM

Visa cost: $100 per person at the airval airport in Tanzania. No photos needed, just crisp $ bills issued since 2002.
Have fun in Tanzania!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't bother to get it ahead of time. It was so easy when we arrived. OAT probably doesn't want to have to wait for anyone, but we saw a couple groups do them en masse: one person collected the passports and forms and cash, handed them to the guy in the window who stamped them all and handed them back. Could not have been easier. And you have to wait for luggage anyway, this gives you something to do while waiting. If you're truly the only ones to get them on the spot, let the rest of the group go stand around the luggage carousel while you get this done. ;-)
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 07:10 AM

As amyb, just get it on arrival; no need for photos, have to mail passport along with return postage envelope. There will be others in the group doing likewise.

OAT or other tour operators try to sell the services of a Passport Service (for which the TO gets a portion of cost), and claim by doing this won't hold up participants on arrival.

However, all have to wait for luggage to come off the plane, so taking the time to purchase Visa gives you something to do rather than standing at the carousel tapping your impatient feet.

Just complete the passport application, keep with passport along with 2/$50 or 1/$100 notes, no older than 5/yrs (dates from: 2007 forward... in good condition). Agent will take your photo/fingerprints, place Visa in your passport and off you go to collect your bags. Simple.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM

As noted, it's easy to get your visa at the airport. OAT will send you a visa form to fill out. Do so, but just take it with you. There will be a second form that you'll need to fill out (a landing card?), but you'll probably get it on the plane before you land. I would suggest NOT using a $100 bill, as that's often counterfeited and I've seen them turned down as payment for a visa. Use two $50 or five $20 bills. As Sandi notes, make sure they are newer and with no marks or tears. The same holds true for any cash you're planning to use there for tips and incidentals. The Tanzanian banks won't accept them because they can't repatriate them to the US, so they are worthless to the people you'd try to give them to.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

OK, I hear all of you. Let me give you a little more information.

Initially, we fly into Kenya. We live in Los Angeles and there is a Kenyan Consulate in the area where we will go to and hand in our passports and pay fees directly, etc.

After about 3-4 days in Kenya we will fly to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania , where we will start our Tanzanian adventure (safari). So, are you still sticking to your guns, so to speak, saying to get Visa at Kilimanjaro airport while waiting for luggage is the best thing to do???

I don't know! Still leaning toward mailing passport and docs and $100 to embassy in Washington. We leave about mid July.

Thoughts/comments/opinions.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but just want to know if my additional info has swayed any of you from doing it when there rather than mailing stuff to Washington embassy well in advance of when we leave the USA.

As alway, appreciate your comments and this GREAT board.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
>>So, are you still sticking to your guns, so to speak, saying to get Visa at Kilimanjaro airport while waiting for luggage is the best thing to do???<,

Yes, I'm not sure why the added info changes the story. You're still going to have to wait ages for your luggage (or if you go carryon, your group's luggage), this'll give you something to do. I wouldn't bother incurring the third party and express mail fees, getting the photos, etc. to get it done ahead of time. Just needless work.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:03 AM

I've been 3 times to Tanzania (08, 09 & 11) and all times we needed to wait in either the visa line or the imigration line but never both. I think we always beat the luggage so no worries of holding anyone up.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Of course you can choose to stop at the Kenyan Consular office in LAX, but check their hours - often mornings only, with pick-up next day - doubt they do same day turnaround and if so there's a fee. And, you have to provide photos which aren't necessary if purchasing on arrival NBO.

You can purchase both Visas on arrival (each respective country), though at Kenya do NOT use $100 notes as it's here they feel these are counterfeit. And as fee is only USD$50/pp, use these.

In JRO, they DO accept USD$100 notes, so can use these on arrival here.

Don't ask why difference between countries, but that's the way it is. In fact in Tanzania if you choose to exchange USD to TSh, there's a better exchange rate using USD$50s and $100s than smaller denominations.

We responders agree, get these on arrival, both countries.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Whoa! I guess I'm starting to be swayed since all of you say "do it" there and you are all speaking from experience, like, "been there, done that" as my young adult sons would say.

On another note, I have been shopping around, so to speak, for Yellow Fevor innoculations for us and our two friends and have found that prices do vary in our area. I have found pricing from a low of $135 , including consult fee, to a high of $210. The $135 is by a doctor in a med practice who will want to see a perscription from my Primary doc which should not be a problem. We had blood tested for Hep A and we have antibodies for that and we will be getting Malaron pills.
I think that is it. Really look forward to your opinions.
Thanks !!
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Make sure that the $135 charge is from the Doctor who can record the shot in the International (Yellow) Health Certificate Booklet avaialble in his office. Not all doctors have it and this is the document which you need to take with you and show the proof of vaccination.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for bringing that up. I got their name from the CDC listing. I will certainly make a point of this, however.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:01 AM

Hi Jaydh42
Haven't been to Tanzania since 2001, and on that occasion, we were transported with 3 other couples all from different countries and myself and two nieces - not one set of people paid the same for their visa getting it at the airport, one couple paid US$300 for theirs, think they were Egyptian, and only remember theirs as it was so much more than anyone else! So i am returning in June 13 and am sending my passport etc to Melbourne (live in Australia) and getting it before I get there just in case! Things may well have changed of course!

In Australia, we can only get yellow fever through practices such a Travel Doctors and it would automatically come with the yellow book or update a yellow book if you already own one. It does not seem to be the same in the States, but here GP's really do not have the knowledge that these GP's that specialize in travel medicine have and in Australia, i would never go to a GP for advice on what I need each trip, don't always follow that advice, but certainly take note of what they think I should be having!
Kind regards
Kaye
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:46 AM

Hint for low cost travel shots in the US: check with your local county health department. They often have (or have arrangements with a nearby county) a travel health department where appointment are easy and shots cheap. My experience is the nurse practitioners there are much more knowledgeable than "regular" doctors and a lot cheaper than "travel" doctors. They also have the yellow cards.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM

In the US, there are a number of GPs that are authorized to provide the YF inoc. This besides, travel clinics or docs associated with such; even the Public Health Dept. All who are approved to provide this jab MUST provide the Yellow Card as proof of same. Prices, of course will vary.

The only issue I've heard with regards to Public Health Dept is if they have the jab on hand, and whether sufficient candidates that need to justify giving on separate dates, or all who need have to get on the same day.

This jab is good for 10/years, so for me I go for convenience (where doc, clinic or public health located) regardless whether cost is $135 or $210, as this only amounts to $13.50 to $21.00 per year... not much difference* in the scheme of overall costs spent for your safari. Still, left to you to decide.

*when considering the time needed to travel to/wait/return; cost of petrol; etc.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Well taken Sandi, but if I can get the shot + card for $135 I'll go for it any day. It is crazy, however, how the price for YF shot does vary. One doc's office i called had the shot for $150 + 50 admin/consult + $150 for office visit, can you believe. ? The @%?!^*(!!!!!
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Try a major hospital in your city. Most have travel clinics and unlike out of hospital/stand alone clinics, rarely assess that 'office visit' charge.. only for the jab. Or, check in/around a university, where many students do overseas travel to 3rd world countries and don't have the funds for big handovers of $$$.

Vaguely recall a thread a few years back where there was mention of just that... university areas. Even here in NYC where everything is always more expensive than elsewhere there's a place up near Columbia University that will serve me well when I have to get my YF booster. At least the get-to/from is only bus fare which I think I can afford
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Although I will check a few of the local hospitals , I thnk the one I found in my area, a medical practice with a specific doc., is the best I'm going to find. It is $105 + 30 for the consult. How much would it run in the NY area?