Serengeti visit

Jan 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Serengeti visit

My wife and I are thinking about visiting the Serengeti Park in 2006 - Could anyone advise what is the best time to go from the point of view of weather conditions and wild life?

Any suggestions as to which Serengeti tour operator we should use when organizing our 7-9 day trip (inclusive of travel time from New York to Dar Es Salam)?

Henry

Henry
Jan 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Oh, that's a tight timeframe. See the followimg ionteractive map for a rough idea of what's going on where and when re: the migration.

http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/na...migration.html

Keep in mind that every year is different, and the rains--or lack thereof--really play a huge part in where the animals will be.

That said, there is always action in the Seronera valley.

Accommodations are probably going to be a problem for 2006 at this point, but if you're willing to head out later in the year, you could probably find the right itinerary for you. Sandi, Eben and others are more qualified to answer this.

Hard to advise on an operator without knowing what you're looking for from your safari.

Some popular operators on this board are Roy Safaris, Africa Serendipity (Sandi, a very helpful and charming poster on this board runs this company), Sunny Safaris for budget, Eastern and Southern Safaris, Rangers...and many others. I'm using Africa Travel Resource (UK-based) for our upcoming trip. If you do a search for Tanzania safari operators here you should be able to find more recs.

Good luck. I don't think going on a safari in East Africa is something anyone ever regrets.

Jan 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Leely, thanks for the link to the interactive map on the wildebeast migration. To Hennry's inquiry I was reminded of the difference we noted in 2002 and 2004 trips practically to the day. In 2002 we caught the main herds in the Seronera area with large numbers within hearing distance of the Sopa lodge. In 2004 while we saw small bunches the main groups had already moved north. Yet, on that same trip we saw many more elephant and giraffe than in 2002. And, about the same numbers of cats. Like you said rainfall and related vegetation plan a major role in what is where.
Dick

Search this Thread