Serengeti or Mbuzi Mawe / Tarangire or Kikoti Camp

Mar 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Serengeti or Mbuzi Mawe / Tarangire or Kikoti Camp

We have a couple of choices to make for our upcoming safari. Our tour is currently all lodges except one night in a tented camp; I asked about adding more nights in a tented camp. Within our price range we have the following choices;

In Tarangire we have the choice of Tarangire Sopa Lodge or Kikoti Camp.

In the Serengeti we have the choice of Serengeti Serena Lodge or Mbuzi Mawe.

Any opinions on these accomodations? This is our first safari; what are your opinions about lodges vs tented camps in general?

Thanks,

Bob

Mar 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

I apologize for the title to this post being incorrect; it appears I cannot edit the post. Thanks again for any help.

Bob
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
sandi

What does your final itinerary, in total, look like.

Mar 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Sandi,

Our current itinerary is:

Day 1 Depart US (Wash DC)to Amsterdam
Day 2 Overnight in Amsterdam (Hotel TBD)
Day 3 Arrive Nairobi (Norfolk Hotel)
Day 4 Amboseli (Amboseli Serena Lodge)
Day 5 Tarangire (Tarangire Sopa Lodge)
Day 6 Tarangire (Tarangire Sopa Lodge)
Day 7 Ngorongoro (Ngorongoro Serena Lodge)
Day 8 Ngorongoro (Ngorongoro Serena Lodge)
Day 9 Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
Day 10 Serengeti (Migration Camp)
Day 11 Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
Day 12 Fly to Nairobi (Norfolk Hotel)
Day 13 Fly to Masai Mara (Mara Serena Lodge)
Day 14 Masai Mara (Mara Serena Lodge)
Day 15 Masai Mara (Mara Serena Lodge)
Day 16 AM Game Drive/Fly to Nairobi/Lunch at Carnivore/ Use of Day Room at InterContinental Hotel/ Depart for US
Day 17 Arrive US (Wash DC)

The overnight in Amsterdam is at our request. This itinerary has only one night in a tented camp, we thought that might not be enough but this is our first safari. For the same price we can make the following changes;

Tarangire - switch to Kikoti Camp rather than Tarangire Sopa.

Serengeti - switch to Mbuzi Mawe instead of Serengeti Serena Lodge

We are also considering a Balloon ride in either the Serengeti or Masai Mara.

Thanks,

Bob
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Would it be possible to spend Day 11 at Migration camp or would that be too much additional cost?

Mar 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM
sandi

This is still for September (I found that on an earlier post of yours)?

Why just 1/nt at Amboseli? For the view? Remember, there is no guarantee as Kili is often covered in clouds. If visiting Tarangire, I'd instead fly to Tanzania (JRO) and head straight to Tarangire. Give up Amboseli for another night at Migration Camp (see below).

At Tarangire, Kikoti is nice, recently added more tents, but they are lovely. When departing here for the crater, realize it's a longer drive from this camp through the park on the way to Ngorongoro. However, since you have 2/nts at the crater it'll work.

As for the Serengeti, if you can get Mbuzi Mawe, I'd trade that over the Serena Lodge. But I wouldn't split the days with Migration Camp between. Rather 1/nt at Mbuzi Mawe on the way north to Migration for 2/nts. And fly from the Klein's airstrip via Arusha to Nairobi.

You can also fly the same day to the Mara on the 3pm flight and skip the o/n in Nairobi. You're already on the move, why stop? Just keep on moving. Sure, it'll be a travel day but you get in an afternoon game drive and sleep in the Mara.

And, I'd have a backup to the Serena in the Mara as it's most difficult to get during this high-season.

Mar 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM

MBUZI MAWE! It was the best place we stayed at during our safari. I haven't stayed at the serena lodge in the seregenti, but it seems like any other lodge...
Give the mbuzi mawe a try... I felt like a queen!
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM

I enjoyed my stay at Mbuzi Mawe much more than the Serengeti Serena. I was less impressed with that particular Serena than with a couple of others we visited -- maybe they were just having a couple of 'off' days, but that is how it came across to me.

Mbuzi Mawe has huge comfortable tents, with more amenities than some hotels. And I'll never forget hearing the roaring lions at night, or the amazing sunset walk we took, where we actually saw a lioness and her cubs (at a distance, fortunately ).
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:08 AM
zib

MBUZI MAWE!!!!!!! Go for it!!!! A Small personal camp. The tents are luxurious...four poster beds and excellent service. Dining is a treat with a menu of choices(not buffet)

Loved it!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

We have revised our itinernary; currently we are shooting for the following:

Day 1 (September 5th 2007): Depart Dulles Aiport

Day 2 (Sept 6): Overnight in Amsterdam, (Hotel TBD)

Day 3 (Sept 7): Arrival Kilimanjaro International Airport and transfer to Mountain Village Lodge

Day 4 (Sept 8): Tarangire National Park - Tarangire Sopa Lodge

Day 5 (Sept 9): Tarangire National park - Tarangire Sopa Lodge

Day 6 (Sept 10): Ngorongoro Crater - Ngorongoro Serena Lodge

Day 7 (Sept 11): Ngorongoro Crater - Ngorongoro Serena Lodge

Day 8 (Sep 12): Serengeti - Mbuzi Mawe Permanent Tented Camp

Day 9 (Sep 13): Serengeti National Park - Migration Camp

Day 10 (Sept 14): Serengeti National Park - Migration Camp

Day 11 (Sept 15): Serengeti ~ Nairobi by Air - Nairobi Serena Hotel

Day 12 (Sept 16): Nairobi ~ Masai Mara by Air - Mara Serena Lodge

Day 13 (Sept 17): Masai Mara - Mara Serena Lodge (Optional Hot Air Balloon Ride)

Day 14 (Sept 18): Masai Mara - Mara Serena Lodge

Day 15 (Sept 19): Masai Mara - Mara Serena Lodge

Day 16 (Sept 20): Masai Mara - Nairobi by air~ Departure

After a morning game drive in Mara, we fly to Nairobi where a day room is provided. Evening transfer to the airport for your flight home, Intercontinental hotel

Day 17 (September 21st 2007): Arrival US - Dulles

We requested the overnight in Amsterdam. I kept the night in Nairobi; we do not want to be rushed and thought an afternoon at this hotel to relax after three nights in a tented camp might be nice. If these changes increase the price significantly we may have to reduce one night. Thanks again for all of the help; I am learning a lot about East Africa for nevering having visited.
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Day 2 (Sept 6): Overnight in Amsterdam, (Hotel TBD)

Bob, we always overnight in Amsterdam too, coming from the west coast (and meeting with a friend from Rotterdam) ... there are two business class hotels right in the airport, a Sheraton about 100 yards past customs and a Hilton another 50 yards down the walkway and across a parking lot. These are certainly the most convenient and having stayed at both would recommend either.

One thing to watch for ... our flight from the US had a generous baggage allowance (two 50 lb suitcases each) and if you are going straight thru with no layover KLM will accept this BUT if you do the layover and check in with KLM the next AM you will be limited to 20 kg (44 lbs) with a steep penalty for any excess weight (supposedly $28/kg in January, though they were letting people slide if only a few lbs over).

Just something to be aware of ... I've met people who had to fork over several hundred bucks for this.

Bill
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Bill - Thanks for the information; we will probably stay at one of these hotels. I cannot imagine any more convenient than these. As this is our first Safari the packing seems to be a challange, staying within the weight limits. We are used to traveling heavy.

Thanks,