Serengeti mobile camps at end of May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone what mobile camps operate in the Serengeti at the end of May? From the go-safari website it appears that only the ccafrica and nomad mobile camps operate at the end of May. Are there any other (slightly less expensive) options?

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
santharamhari

Try the new CCAfrica safari under canvas option........

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:08 AM

cruisin

Several mobile camps should be operational. Since their are so many I have not listed all of them yet on go-safari but I plan to some day!

Most of the seasonal camps are taking maintenance breaks - except Nomad and CCA Under Canvas.

One problem is that the roads to some camp site are unpassable so large trucks cannot move about freely. As a result thew many camping outfitters are all competing for few special camp sites.

For somewhat cheaper options, try some well-known camping outfits Kibo, Amazing Tanzania, Unique Safaris.

Even cheaper is Sunny - but they focus more basic camping.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks climbhighsleeplow

I might splurge on cc africa under canvas for a few nights if that is the only option. Have you heard any feedback about this yet?

Thanks again
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:09 AM

We may see each other at CCA Under Canvas!

Casrol and I will be staying with them on May 22 and 23!

One can only believe it will be top-notch!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:10 AM

I have a keyboard problem. My wife is Carol not Casrol!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Eben-
I'm making plans for next year (May 2007)... glad to hear I will benefit from your first hand feedback. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Kibo Safaris does mobile tented camps in the Serengeti, even in May. Their luxury camps are quite nice and the food is superb. They have several other properties in Tanzania, as well (Tarangire Tented River Camp and Ngorongoro Farmhouse). How many are in your party? They could put together the entire safari for you for a reasonable cost. E-mail Josiah at [email protected] for a quote. He doesn't have prices for 2007 yet (I'm working with him on a group trip for June 2007), but he can give you the 2006 costs.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Shaytay

I just learned that Tarangire River Camp is now managed by Chimpanzee Safaris in Dar es Salaam!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Really, Eben? I'll have to check on that with Josiah. I can't imagine why Willie would do that, but things are changing all the time.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM

It is a bit of a shocker to me too but my sources are to be trusted. I am awaiting more info...
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I've received confirmation that Kibo has sold TRC to Chimpanzee Safaris, which will supposedly operate as before. Kibo is opening a new camp at Tarangire called Maramboi in June 2006. I'm waiting for more info on it.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Hello Eben-

I see that you have added pics of CC Africa's Tanazania Under Canvas to your website. How was your stay with them? Any comments/feedback?

I can't quite tell from your website if Suyan Camp is open in May. I am still looking for other options besides Nomad and CCA for mobile camping at the end of May. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:41 AM

We're staying in CC Africa's mobile camp for four nights in September. I would love feedback from anyone who has actually stayed with them.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Sorry, I had a typo on the Suyan page! It is now fixed. During April and May the camp will be moving from the south to the northern Loliondo.

BTW, the new camp manager at Suyan is Ethan - those of you who've been to Mwagusi in Ruaha will know him! He is a great guy!

We really enjoyed our stay at CCA Under Canvas. We were some of their first clients and provided some feedback about tent furniture and such. A few weeks later I saw one of the upgraded tents and they already implemented some changes!

For example:

1. Cars were new and wonderful. They use open/close vehicles as you can see in my pictures. We loved the power sockets next to each seat, the big floor space (large enough to hold my tripod as you can see in one picture), and open window spaces.

2. Guides were excellent as to be expected.

3. Dinners were communal (spelling?), BUT each tent has a separate gazebo for private dinners!

4. Tents are spacious and the three or so layers of canvas on top keep the inside cool during the day heat. We ask for improvements such as bedside tables (to put reading glasses, water, etc), better wash basins, better service with the flushing toilets - ours stopped working after 1 flush, and better lighting in the bathroom. The new tent we saw was still missing the bedside tables but had a great washbasin, and splendid lights in the bathroom area!

5. Food and service - impeccable.

6. Location. I am finishing up some maps to show where the camp moves. The tsetse flies at our Rongai 3 camp were quite bad. I asked that they arrange for tsetse fly traps at camp sites in the future. NOTE: This is not really a CCA problem per say. I just asked that they consider tsetse fly concentrations when they choose future camp sites! They are a bit new to this in the Serengeti and over time they will know more about the good/bad of the different camp sites!

7. Overall, we just had a great feeling about the camp. With only 4 tents (in the Serengeti camp), we felt that we had the camp to ourselves. However, one night a group of 6 showed up and they dominated the fire place and dining area to some degree. This was not a problem for us as we had our gazebo but I hope in the future that the camp mgmt will tell their clients beforehand when a group is in camp so the different parties can have somewhat separate arrangements - especially since it is an expensive experience!

Pictures:

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/C...nderCanvas.htm
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Thanks so much for the CC Africa info. Do the chargers at each seat mean that we can recharge stuff during the drive? What kind of adaptors do we need for this?

Again, many thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Marija, I uploaded a picture of the plug! It is universal - I charged by 115V laptop during the game drives.No adpters needed.

The new pic is at the bottom! You can also see my Elvis Fly swatter for the tsetses! No, it did not really work!

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/C...nderCanvas.htm

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the photos. We've been debating PC vs photo storage device. Looks like power won't be an issue in the Serengeti. How long were the game drives? Do you think four nights is too long? Great fly swatter. Do you think tsetses will be a big issue in September as well?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:21 AM

cruisinred, what is your whole itinerary looking like? just curious.

We recently returned fr TZ and a number of people, including our guide, suggested April/May as optimal Serengeti time. "You must come back in May." "You'll love April. The Serengeti in April is the best."

It's always something...
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Leely-

Interesting comments about the Serengeti in May. I am always a big proponent of off-season travel: fewer people, better rates, etc.

As for my travel plans, they are still very much up in the air for next May. Gorillas? Selous? Not sure yet, but the one sure thing is that I must spend a few days in islands off the coast of Northern Mozambique...the beaches and ocean there look so pristine.

I am really enoying your trip report and look forward to reading the rest.

cruisinred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -