Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Serengeti in Sept./Oct. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/serengeti-in-sept-oct-651349/)

jenack Oct 6th, 2006 06:15 PM

Serengeti in Sept./Oct.

I have a 12 day western/Southern itinerary(Ruaha/Katavi/Mahale) planned for Tanzania for Sept/Oct of '07. I am now thinking of adding some time in the north--either 4 or 5 nights. I really want to stay away from the crowds, but want to see animals!! I am considering flying from Arusha to either the Grumeti or Lobo areas, and doing a private camping tour of the area up to the Kenyan border and over to the west by the rivers. Will there be much to see there at that time of year, or should I bite the bullet and just do the 'circuit' areas? And am I crazy, logistically, to try, instead of doing the Serengeti, flying up to the Masai Mara for the 4-5 days to catch some migration?

santharamhari Oct 6th, 2006 10:09 PM

Hi! Your trip sounds fantastic......either northern serengeti or Mara should both be good in their own way. I expect, the holiday crowds in the Mara to hv thinned out a bit by then......No Selous in your plans?

Hari

sandi Oct 7th, 2006 03:36 AM

Right now, beginning October, the herds are still in the Mara... the northern Mara outside the reserve... in some large numbers and still crossing wherever and whenever they choose... crazy wildies!!!

That's not to say that some of the herds haven't begun their trek back to the Serengeti.

So, either the northern Serengeti (northeast/Lobo or northwest/Sayari) or the Mara would be good. As to space availability... even now in October, the tourists still abound.

atravelynn Oct 7th, 2006 08:07 AM

jenack,

How are you getting between camps and where are you staying? Should be a wonderful trip.

jenack Oct 28th, 2006 08:54 PM

Hi Atravelynn,
Just saw this reply of yours from quite awhile ago....I am using your email address to write you directly, I hope you don't mind!!

atravelynn Oct 29th, 2006 05:15 AM

I'll be looking. That's why I put in the email, so you can write directly if you prefer.

jenack Oct 29th, 2006 10:24 AM

Atravelynn,
Did my email get through?
bg

ann_nyc Oct 30th, 2006 05:11 PM

Just got back from Africa. On Oct 26 we drove to the North of the Serengeti and caught the edge of the migration there. But I guess the details change from year to year.

jenack Oct 31st, 2006 11:58 AM

I hear a lot of people commenting on not liking the idea of sharing vehicles with others...are you referring more to picking up a semi-private tour with people you don't know and having to spend the whole time with them, or even in the nice lodges, using private cars rather than ride with the other guests?

sandi Oct 31st, 2006 01:05 PM

If you're on a private safari in Tanzania or Kenya you don't have to worry about sharing. If, however, you are flying into/out of certain parks/reserves, unless you pay a premium for a private vehicle (cost of from $300+/day) you share a vehicle.

Or you can arrange with your outfitter to send a private vehicle for you, but this too will cost you for transport, the guide, his room & board, etc.

Depending on the camp or lodge at which you are staying, you will be with other guests on game drives. Lodges tend to fill their vehicles with 6/pax each. The small intimate camps try to keep it to a max of 4/pax.

If for some reason you're not getting along with the others in your vehicle (they make rude/stupid comments, want to move on when you wish to stay or vice versa, are always talking, are so into their photography that you want to slap them... you get the idea) you can always ask about a change... no guarantee that these can/will be made, but no harm to inquire.

jenack Oct 31st, 2006 03:44 PM

That's what I thought. I would much prefer that route, but I have no choice in many of the parks I am going to as I have to fly in, and in the Masai Mara it seems like you have to stay at a lodge or else outside the park. And the private vehicle charge is really quite high at the lodges. I am hoping they keep the vehicles to 4 people and that they are all as nice, considerate, interesting and wonderful as I am!!