Notices

Serengeti AND Masai Mara?

Jun 9th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Serengeti AND Masai Mara?

I'm going to Tanzania in late Sept. for 10 days/ 9 nights with Duma Explorers. Tour goes:
Arusha
Tarangire
Ngorongoro
Central Serengeti
North Serengeti
Arusha

Instead of flying back to Arusha, we want to fly from Kogatende Airstrip to Masai Mara for 4 days/ 3 nights. It has also been suggested that we skip N. Serengeti if we are going to Masai Mara (redundant) and fly there from Seronera Airstrip in C. Serengeti.

Flying from the Serengeti to Masai Mara seems rather difficult (2 planes plus a shuttle) and expensive. Is it worth it? Will we see the same wildlife in the northern Serengeti? I'm wondering if we should just skip Kenya and stay in Tanzania, and maybe add another day in the north. Suggestions?

Any advise would be welcome. Thanks!
Jun 9th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Why not skip all of Serengeti and go to Masai Mara? That is, go to Ngorongoro and Masai Mara. How would that work logistically?

regards - tom
Jun 10th, 2011, 08:07 AM

For Sept, I'd skip No. Serengeti and instead visit the Masai Mara. From Central Serengeti, assuming you do visit here, will be very long (full-day) if driving to Mara; likewise if flying, not quite a full day, but much more comfortable and you'll be in the Mara by 4pm.

Consider:
Day 1 - Arusha
Day 2 - Tarangire (elephants & mini-migration)
Day 3 - Tarangire
Day 4 - Ngorongoro
Day 5 - Central Serengeti
Day 6 - Central Serengeti
Day 7 - Fly to Arusha/JRO; connect to flight to Nairobi; connect to flight to Mara (wildie/zebra/tommie migration)
Days 8 & 9 - Masai Mara
Day 10 - Fly to NBO; homebound

Keeps trip at 10/days and covers the best of both countries.
Jun 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM

We went to both last September and loved both. In N Serengeti we saw some amazing crossings which had very few cars. Maybe 4 or 5 tops. But once in the Mara we saw lots of predator action, but we found the crossings just too crowded and hot and we didn't wait around for any since we'd had such great ones in N. Serengeti. Here is a link to my trip report with links to some photographs: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...never-will.cfm

If money and time are issues, 10 days isn't very long, then do what sandi recommends. Otherwise, try to do both. We probably had 17 days for tanzania and Masai Mara including transit.

Search this Thread