Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Serena or Sopa in Kenya? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/serena-or-sopa-in-kenya-423634/)

lilla Apr 18th, 2004 01:41 PM

Serena or Sopa in Kenya?

We are planning a safari in Kenya, and it seems that Serena and Sopa are the two companies with a number of lodges. Our priorities are location within the parks, a bit of luxury, and good food and service. Which do you prefer and why?

sandi Apr 18th, 2004 05:07 PM

The Serena properties are the more luxurious (more expensive), though the Sopa properties are nothing to shrug off. Depending on where you will be traveling - which Parks/Reserves might determine your selection.

Give us an idea or your itinerary and your lodge/camps choices and we might better provide specific feedback.

NoFlyZone Apr 19th, 2004 04:45 AM

The Serenas and Sopas are both good, and just about equal in both luxury and cost. (Serenas are only $10-20 more a night.) Location is thus the main factor in selecting between them, and I think only in Masai Mara and Ngorongoro is that significant (in the latter, it depends on whether you want subrises or sunsets...).

thit_cho Apr 19th, 2004 06:58 AM

As others have said, the Serena is slightly more up-market than Sopa, and at least in the Masai Mara, has the much better location. In fact, I think the Mara Serena is the best situated lodge in all of the Masai Mara, including the very expensive Governor's camps.

I don't think there is a Sopa in Samburua, and the Samburu Serena has a great location.

There are also many more Serena lodges in Kenya than Sopa.

RuthieC Apr 19th, 2004 09:10 AM

Haven't stayed at any Sopa Lodges so can't compare. However stayed at the Samburu and Masai Serena lodges 18 months ago. The quality of accommodation, food and service was very good and the locations were wonderful. I would definately recommend them to anyone, although I would also recommend looking at some of the smaller lodges and permanent camps for a more personal experience.

sandi Apr 19th, 2004 01:59 PM

There is one other hotel/lodge chain in Kenya with properties in the major parks/reserves - the Sarova properties, which I believe is a step or two down from the Sopas, but I know some people who loved them.

Though there is more than $10/$20 difference between Serena over the Sopa properties. Consider that Kirawira is a Serena property, though a tented camp, and prices here can run $500+/nt/person. And, definitely, yes there are more Serena than Sopa properties.

Depending on where your itinerary takes you would determine which lodge, but as RuthieC mentions, you should also consider at least one permanent tented camp.

Lilla, again, if you'd list your itinerary - parks/reserves - and what your accommodation options are, we could better comment.