SERENA OR SOPA AT THE CRATER?

Feb 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

SERENA OR SOPA AT THE CRATER?

I have 2 nights scheduled at the Crater in my itinerary.
would you stay at the Serena or Sopa? Heard that the Serena has better rooms and food but Sopa is better located for game drive access. How bad IS the food at the Sopa? Is it a deal breaker? Also, do they offer the Crater Rim walks from the Sopa side of the Crater?with only half day tours beginning this summer, does it make the location of the Sopa even more valuable?
Thanks
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:56 AM

Billmarie

I've stayed at both places. Since I am there for the wildlife more than anything else, I prefer Sopa as we've always been very lucky with cat sightings within minutes near the Sopa access road.

I never had bad food at Sopa - neither of the two places offer memorable dining experiences. There are simply too many people at both. Sopa is a bit bigger.

Views are not that different. While the Serena rooms have better views than many of the Sopa rooms, the sunsets at Sopa are great. Sopa is also cheaper.

We've not done Crater rim walks, but I've seen others do it from Sopa. It's more a function of your tour options rather than a lodge specialty.

My humble vote is for Sopa.

BTW, to get away from the crowds there are wonderful plantation stays around Ngorongoro.
Feb 18th, 2005, 06:39 AM

My suggestion does not carry the weight of climbhighsleeplow, since I have not been to Serena. The food was fine at Sopa, but then I've never had a bad meal on safari. Location is more important to me than luxury only because location adds in maximizing my time with the reason I'm really there--the wildlife.

Search this Thread