Serena Lodge Overbookings (Tanzania)

Aug 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Serena Lodge Overbookings (Tanzania)

A word of warning to anyone using Serena lodges in Tanzania this summer/fall. The lodges are extremely overbooked and are sending even people who have confirmed pre-paid rooms to other facilities, some of which are pretty grim. We ran into this problem at the Lake Manyara, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Serenas. Our Safari Company (Roy Safaris, wonderful outfit) knew of the issue and got us to the lodges early at each place, but we still had to argue to avoid being bumped. Later arrivals were put up at any place that had room.
I talked with the Roy Safaris manager after our tour and he said that there had been a high percentage of cancellations the last two years, because of terrorism fears, so all the lodges had heavily overbooked to compensate. There weren't nearly as many cancellations this summer, so everyone was scrambling to house the extra people.
Aug 14th, 2004, 04:10 AM
sandi

At least tourism is finally picking up in East Africa and glad to hear this. Tourism here took a terrible hit due to the travel warnings, that now have been rewritten and not advising travelers "not to go", rather just "to be aware."

Aug 14th, 2004, 04:21 AM

I'd rather see them NOT overbooking but charging those who cancel. If the reasons for canx are valid they will be covered by trip insurance. If they are not valid then it's only fitting these people should still have to pay - making a reservation is entering into a contract after all...

That way the lodges can operate in the knowledge that they will still be paid for each booking and have no excuses to overbook.

The practice of overbooking on flights is similarly one that enrages me. I feel they should alter their pricing structures accordingly but ensure that if they take my money for a service they can provide it.

Search this Thread