Selous, Tanzania

Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Selous, Tanzania

My wife and I are planning a safari to Tanzania in 2006, either in May or June, and I would like some advice about two subjects. First, is there any wustantial difference in going during one month than the other. In particular, will the game viewing be better in one month or the other. Second, I would appreciate any information about Selous. It sounds very intriguing in the guidebooks I have read, but there really isn't very much information out there, or at least I haven't found it. I woujld like to know about the time of travel, as I mentioned above. I would also like to know if Selous will be substantially different from the rest of Tanzania. Will there be any difference in the quality or variety of wildlife viewing? What are the accommodations like? Are there lodges, tented camps, etc.? Do you think that this is a worthwhile addition to a standard circuit of Northern Tanzania? Thanks in advance.
Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
sandi

I can't provide answers to all your questions, but can tell you that Selous doesn't reopen after the "long" rains until June.

As to the park, it is the largest in Africa, but it's the northern part that is used for visitors. There are luxury tented camps, moderate accommodations and camping. There will be no crowds as the accommodations are small. It will be rare to come across other vehicles during game drives or people if game walking.

If you are also planning on doing some or all of the northern circuit - Tarangire, Lk. Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti - getting to Dar and flying to/from the Selous will be costly. You may want to consider only the southern circuit of Selous and Ruaha with time in Zanzibar or along with coast near Dar at the conclusion of the safari.

Not until you get prices from a tour operator/outfitter will you know what your costs will be for a combined northern circuit safari with Selous only or a southern circit safari only.

I hope this has answered some of your questions and gets you started in planning.

Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the information, Sandi. I am considering using Thomson Safaris as my tour operator, and they have a five-day extension to Selous that you can add the full tour, which is what I am thinking about. If you have any information or impressions about Thomson, I'd be very happy to have that.

Search this Thread