Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Selous in June: not ideal time of year, still worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something about the wildness of the Selous has really captured my imagination. I am planning a trip to Tanz in June...as the Selous camps will have just reopened following the rains, would it still be "worth it" to go or would I be disappointed due to lack of sightings?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM

cruisinred, was at Selous in mid-June last year as part of Mikumi, Ruaha,and Selous safari. Selous is huge! Sightings undoubtedly depends on where you stay as well. The river definitely has numbers of hippos, crocs, various water-related birds, etc. The river made that part of trip special for us particularly in regards to birds and the "novelty" of boat game drives. Looking back was kind of disappointed in sightings of game. Seemed to be more skiddish and grass was a bit tall in some areas that may seeing game more challenging. Must also keep perspective of what we saw in Ruaha (great variety of game and blessed with excellent guide and driver). Had combined driver/guide in Selous and that may have limited his means to spot critters given high grass in some areas. Think your question is an excellent one. When we can return to Tanzania we are looking at combination of areas in the north (Serengeti, N Crater and maybe Tarangire) and Ruaha and maybe Mikumi so we can take in U. Mountains for a change. Since we have not seen that much of Selous please take my comments as offered. I thought Ruaha was a lot of wilderness!
Dick
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Cruisinred:
When I lived in Dar, I was a frequent visitor to the Selous. I have traveled there in June twice. After the rain, the vegetation is as high as a house. Sightings are more difficult of course but to me all the green is worth it. And that trip wasn't without excellent sightings. I remember that I came across mating lions at the beginning of their courtship. With no other people around, our vehicle stayed on to watch them from a very short distance. (I call the photo I took my "money shot" and was never able to duplicate it in the over 60 safari I have taken to TZ's parks and reserves.) Selous' big attraction too is the Rufiji River boat safari, and that isn't as affected by the month of your visit. You can also do a walking safari with a ranger, an easy thing to arrange at the gate as you enter. You don't mention how you plan to arrive at the reserve. If you are coming by road from Dar, the track you take after Kibiti village is probably going to be in rough condition in June. There isn't any black cotton but deep deep sand and it will be wet. I wouldn't attempt the land route between Mikumi and Selous until well into the dry although there are people waiting to assist you at the river crossing. You also don't mention where you are considering sleeping. I am familiar with the accommodations but I love to special camp, and the June camps I made at Lake Tagalala rate in my mind as the more unforgettable in a line-up of unforgettable Tanzanian memories. Hippos were out and about grazing during the night, while at dawn a herd of elepants walking trunk to tail passed by to drink at the lake. They were remarkably silent. Not sure if this helps. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

rsnyder-
I enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for your feedback.

MamaTembo-
Thanks for your comments. I was also thinking that the river and walking safari options sound great. We would probably be flying in from the Serengeti and staying at Selous Safari Camp but we have discussed the idea of a self-drive safari. We drove a 4x4 in Costa Rica last year in the rainy season and loved it. Any idea for websites with info about renting a 4x4 from Dar?

Thanks
Cruisinred
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM

Cruisinred:

I just received this quote from Hertz Arusha (and their office in Dar) for a group traveling in Dec 2006. They list a Nissan Patrol or Land Cruiser at $150 US a day, $180.00 a day including the 20 % VAT, without driver. This is also without fuel and with only 100 free kms overall. After that, 0.90 per km is added to the bill. June prices out of Dar should be much better. I knew a Naphisa who worked in the Dar office in late 2005. At that time she offered $130.00 US a day plus 20 % VAT for car and driver, a price which also included insurance, drivers' meals and overnight expenses, and 100 free kms A DAY. For self-drive the rate per day was only $10.00 cheaper. I have a list in my file of other reputable car rentals in Dar that are less expensive than Hertz. I am traveling at the moment and am not able to access it. I did send this same info to a group going in August and have just requested that they resend it to me. If I receive, I will post it to you. The last email I have for Naphisa is [email protected]. I hope it remains valid. I must also mention that when I last dealt with Hertz they could not offer Land Rovers. Their cars seem to be OK condition. I know of a Hertz rental that took a couple to the Selous and on to Mtwara on the Mozambique border and back without mechancial mishap last year. (They got stuck once or twice.)

Flying into the Selous is super too if that is how you ultimately arrive. I wish for you giant herds of Cape buffalo running below as you approach.

The funky little train (TAZARA's Safari Express, used to depart Dar for the Selous' Fugu Station Tues/Fri/Sat 13:17 and 12:50 respectively) is also a fun transport, at least for one way. It should be operating in June. However, the tracks might be wet and in poor shape for vehicles from the camps and lodges to collect you from Fuga. It is quite a distance from the slice set aside for tourism.