Selous and Ruaha

Jul 11th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Selous and Ruaha

Am now within a year of perhaps returning to East Africa. Really enjoyed the northern circut in northern Tanzania and was wondering about areas such as Selous and Ruaha. Realize these may be a bit more expensive. Welcome any feedback from Fodorites who have recent experience in southern Tanzania.I know, I know this is a rather general post but I thought the board might benefit. Thanks
Jul 11th, 2003, 01:20 PM

My husband and I spent time in Selous last September and loved it. We stayed at Sand Rivers, directly on the shore of the mighty Rufiji River. We saw lions (including three cubs left alone while the adults hunted), buffalo, giraffe, elephants, etc. but a definite highlight of Selous is the chance to go in the river on a boat. There is nothing like seeing hippo heads pop up from the water no more than 25 feet from the boat. Also, driving up to Lake Tagalala and see what you think are hundreds of logs coming to life and entering the water, is an unbelievable site. Tagalala supposedly has the highest density of crocs then anywhere in East Africa. I don't know where you are thinking of staying, but I know that Sand Rivers offers fly camping on Sand River - during the dry season of course. I would love to know what that is like! Anyway, there is plenty of wildlife to be seen, but the area is certainly more scrub than you would see on the plains. Also, because there is so little human habitation - in fact it is not allowed except at the camps/lodges - the animals are more skittish. There is big game hunting in the reserve, but that takes place on the other side of the Rufiji River. One morning we had a picnic breakfast alongside Lake Tagalala with a park ranger and our guide. We noticed lion spors in the mud and we tracked them. What a rush!!! We did not have any problems with bugs despite the warm and humid temperatures in October. We debated whether to go to Selous or Ruaha, with Selous obviously winning out. Our next venture to the southern circuit will include Ruaha or Mikumi, which is also supposed to be fantastic. Remember, however, that Selous is closed usually from mid-March to May during the heavy rains. The one thing that we really liked about Selous is the fact that we never saw anyone else on game drives while we were there. It was like we had the reserve to ourselves. It is so big that the few vehicles there are not driving over one another. I think you might be able to find the posting I did shortly after our return last year if you do a search. Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Search this Thread