Selfdrive Kenya Tanzania

Aug 11th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Selfdrive Kenya Tanzania

Me and my boyfriend would like to do a self drive through Kenya and Tanzania. We prefer to hire a 4x4 with tented top (without driver/guide). We are looking all over the internet but can not find any information. Can you help us?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Melanie from Holland
Aug 11th, 2005, 01:58 PM
sandi

Melanie -

Probably the reason you're not finding any information is because this is not something that visitors do.

Are you considering something like this to save money, the adventure? Where do you hope to visit in both of these countries? For how long - days, weeks? What about language barrier (in some places)? What about vehicle breakdowns? You can't call a local mechanic!

Distances are long, roads are far from the best, in some places, none exist, there are few, if any, road signs.

Depending on your budget you can get a guide/driver and book any level of accommodations including camping out in tents (with a cook).

Give us some more information and maybe we can offer solutions.

Aug 11th, 2005, 03:22 PM
bwanamitch

DutchMelanie,

You can find lists of car hire websites for Kenya and Tanzania on my website:
http://www.safari-portal.de/CarRental.KE.d.html
http://www.safari-portal.de/CarRental.TZ.d.html

In Tanzania I would recommend Fortes Car Hire (www.fortescarhire.com).

I don't know any company that covers both countries, but perhaps you find it in my listings.

Mitch

Aug 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM
bwanamitch

PS: The website of Hans-Georg Michna might be useful for you:
http://www.michna.com/privat.htm

He regularly visits Kenya and Tanzania and has a lot of trip reports and tips for 4x4 travelers on his website.

Mitch

Aug 11th, 2005, 03:44 PM
bwanamitch

sandi,

Self-driving holidays in Africa are a serious alternative to other travel options and are popular especially in Europe and South Africa. There are more of these travelers than you might think.

Mitch

Aug 12th, 2005, 05:52 AM
sandi

Mitch -

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've had friends do self-drives through SA, Zim, Zam thru Malawi and to Dar. But didn't dare go further, due to obstacles not found in the southern countries.

However, when one can get relatively inexpensive itineraries with guide/driver who knows the ins/outs of these countries - makes it so much easier.

I'll check the websites listed and maybe convince this friend of mine that he might want to reconsider self-drive for Kenya and Tanzania... and I'll be navigator. Thanks again.

Aug 12th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Sandy,
Last year we've visited South-Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe with an organised trip. We have enjoyed this very much. The problem we discovered in travelling with a group is that you can not stay longer at interesting places.
The problem we have with renting a car with driver/guide is that it becomes a holiday for 3 and not for 2. We think that we don't feel comfortable with this extra person. You just feel that you have to keep this guy company, if he doesn't meet anyone het knows at campsites, and this guide also has to follow an ittinerary.
Aug 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM
sandi

Melanie -

You got interesting information above from posters about rentals for self-drives, but safari in Kenya is not like what you've previously experienced.

In Kenya and Tanzania YOU set the itinerary - where you go, number of days, accommodations. That's why so many here recommend private safaris which can be done at any budget you wish. You can stay at sightings as long or as short as you choose.

The last person you have to concern yourself with is your guide as regards "whether he meets any one." His job is to make your safari as pleasant as possible and when not with you - during meals, sleeping - he's elsewhere in separate quarters and with other guides - you're not responsible for his social calendar.

I can certainly understand, after your previous group trip, not wanting to repeat the same, but that wouldn't be the case in East Africa. An area such as Etosha and Kruger proper are ideal for self-drives... The Mara in Kenya or Serengeti in Tanzania, to name a few, aren't - not for a first time safari here (any maybe not for a second or third). On our recent safari we met up with an experienced guide who got lost finding one of the lodges to which he was taking clients - there just weren't any signs, and the one very very tiny arrow was pointing in the wrong direction which took him and his clients more than an hour out of the way.

After you plan out when (time of year) where you wish to visit and price out the rental vehicle, insurance, petrol, park entrance fees, booking accommodations, etc. you may very well be able to do it with a guide/driver who knows where he's going, where to find petrol, doesn't enter a park at the wrong or distant entrance, etc.

Let us know what you're planning and maybe we'll have ideas for you.

Aug 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM
bwanamitch

DutchMelanie,

Renowned UK-based operator Safari Drive now offers self-drive safaris in Kenya (I have to add that to my Kenya list). Maybe you have a look at the website
http://www.safaridrive.com/

Mitch

Aug 12th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Sandi
I am interested in what obstacles one would have that is different from Southern Africa. I have driven several times in East Africa and found it a pleasure. You should try it. East Africa self drive is fabulous way to go. If you feel the need for a guide, pick one up at each park as you go.

www.tanzaniaparks.com

It is easy to drive between the parks, no signage really needed because there are not a lot of options to screw up with. Even with a Michelen Map. Get a gps and the coordinates are available on several of the maps today or in guide books.

Make an itinerary and reservations if need be at lodges and campsites, with or without the guides as you go. I pickup a guide at each park and have been happy, never make reservations in Tanz or Kenya. One just needs to keep in mind the road conditions aren't the best and adjust for it.

Overlanding is getting more popular every year. Now the South Africans have it as a major destination.There are a lot of us self driving out there.

Robbie

Search this Thread